Space

Ways to help induce aerial roots on Arboricolas?

Hi guys and gals,

I bought an Arboricola bonsai from a reputable bonsai nursery about 6 months ago and so far I've not had a single problem with it. It's currently still rocking that small plant in a pot look, though it does have hard bark. It does not have anything approaching aerial or "Banyan" roots though and I was wondering if there are any ways to help achieve them?

It currently stays outside in partial shade and the high humidity of the Houston area.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Space,

I have only been growing Scheffs for a few years now so I don't have a lot of experience. Recently I noticed a few buds that I take to be the beginnings of aerial roots. I did not do anything special to mine but now that I noticed them I tucked some long fibre moss around them. I have been giving them a few mistings a day and hope to see some development.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

Norm

Space

Gnome, thanks for the reply.

Are you fastening the moss with anything in particular?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Space,

No, I'm using moss with long strands and found that I can just tuck a wad of it between several branches. If you want to try this perhaps you can use a peice of the plastic mesh that onion bags are made of.

Norm

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I have simply built a mound of long fibre sphagnum around a trunk and gotten great air roots; have done it with both S. arboricola and S. actinophylla. Just have at it; the results are gratifying...

HG

Space

The Helpful Gardener wrote:I have simply built a mound of long fibre sphagnum around a trunk and gotten great air roots; have done it with both S. arboricola and S. actinophylla. Just have at it; the results are gratifying...

HG
Nice, I'll get on that. Do you do that during a specific season? And do you "water" the moss or water the plant around the mound?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Oh most definitely water the moss. Pretty much as much as you'd like...

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”