joedes3

Wintering Juniper in pond baskets

I live in zone 6, Massachusetts. Can a Juniper be wintered outside in a pond basket? Thanks

TomM
Greener Thumb

Hi Joe, I wouldn't use a pond basket for overwintering, as they don't offer much protection for new tender roots. I would put the juniper into a protected area of your garden if possible. A rose cone would offer some protection from the dry winter winds that often turn junipers brown. Mulch it in good, and if you can, add snow over top of it. Don't allow the juniper to dry out too much during the winter.

Keep in mind that many junipers grow well in the landscape all throughout the northeast. They are very good with cold weather. A little protection is all they ask for.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Joe,

Plants in pond baskets can be overwintered but as Tom alluded to, not exposed, at least not in your area. If the roots are protected the foliage of a Juniper is very hardy.

Your other post mentions that you lost your first Junipers. Is this question academic or are you considering purchasing some now?

Norm

joedes3

The question is academic. I am excited about everything I learned at the bonsai meeting and now wish I had a Juniper to try for the winter.

When I did have the junipers, I didn't protect them at all. I just left them on the bench and they died. From what I have been able to gather, I would have been much better off if I put them on the ground. Then covered the container with leaves or whatever. Then when we got snow, covered the entire plant with snow.

Does this sound correct?

TomM
Greener Thumb

Sure. If you don't have a better place you can use the area beneath the bench for storage. Pauline Muth does this with a lot of her conifers - in the Albany/Schenectady area. Check her site at www.pfmbonsai.com. Keep them cold and, as much as possible, out of the wind. One more thing - use a good serving of D-con for protection from critters that might harm your tree.

Don't have any junipers? Garden centers are selling off their stock now, bargains to be found. And your bonsai club has raffle tables at most meetings. (I just picked up a real beauty for $14) Find a 'practice tree' to play with and learn from. :lol:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”