manofthetrees

nusery stock ?

I have found a twin trunk acer "butterfly" at a nusery. the problem is the main trunk before the split is too long, about 2". will burying the trunk and root pruning get me to were I want, or should I leave it? thanks

djlen
Green Thumb

Would you post a picture? It's difficult to advise on these things without seeing the plant.

manofthetrees

I havent purchased the tree yet and I'm having trouble getting pictures off of my phone.it is a varigated japenesse maple. what I am wondering is, if I bury the trunk to the desired height will the unexposed trunk grow roots .the split is too high on the trunk right now but it has nice form beyond the split. if this isnt possible than I will leave it.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

manofthetrees,

I think what you want to research is air layering or in this case perhaps ground layering is a more apt term.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=40359#40359

I seem to recall something about Maples and the fact that some may not do well on thier own roots. This alludes to the fact that named varieties are usually grafted onto a different rootstock, so if you layer above the graft you will lose the understock.

I am unsure about this though so some more research may be in order. But to answer your specific question, yes you can force roots on a trunk.

Norm

TomM
Greener Thumb

I believe that Norm is correct here. Try to determine if the tree has been grafted. And another thing to consider is that any layering should be done at the appropriate time of year, with maximum sap flow - not now.

If you do buy this tree just keep it healthy until the time is right. Enjoy it, study it. Learn all you can before proceeding.

In the meantime check with the Buffalo Bonsai Society. They have a nice site. www.buffalobonsaisociety.com Members would be more that glad to give you good advice.

manofthetrees

thanks guys, thats a little too much work, not that ancy to add another project like that. I'm already planning air layering a golden plum from my backyard in the spring. twin trunk style will have to wait

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”