the collecter

Moss and mushrooms

I've been looking at pictures (in my bonsai books and online) of bonsais with moss and mushrooms growing on and around trees

how do I achieve this?

the only moss I have (but not sure if it's growing) is this long stringy Irish moss with white flowers (which I had to buy due to the fact that nurseries don't sell the velvety green stuff like I see growing naturally)

~the collecter`

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Anybody have experience growing moss or mushrooms?

I know that you can buy the fungal spores to grow mushrooms at your home.

I should think that a bonsai shop or distributor would know about this topic.

DanW66

Hello.

I'm new here and have not done this myself yet, so proceed with caution. A gardening friend of mine said to find a patch of moss I liked, growing somewhere, take half a handful and mix it with a little buttermilk in a blender, then spoon it onto wherever you want moss to grow.

She said it works like a charm.

I've also read about using herbs from your produce section if they look appropriate.

I cannot stress enough though, that I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Dan! I remember hearing about that before. And it makes sense too!

One of the ways that moss reproduce vegetatively is by gemmules which are these little "cups" that have small "pieces" of the moss in them that are dispersed by wind and animals. The pieces land somewhere and grow up into a plant.

Anyway, make sure that you mist regularly as mosses are not vascular plants and need to "swim" in moisture to survive.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”