reindeer15
Newly Registered

My Fukien tea tree is making noises!!!!!!!

Right so I got this Fukien Tea Tree as a present from my girlfriend about 2 months ago and the first month it was fine, but then something really weird happened....

My grandma collapsed and was sent to the hospital. Now she lives quite far away and I just rushed there completely forgetting about my new bonsai... :(

However when I came back it hadn't died it was just really droopy and the leaves were all soft, so I quickly watered it. But then for the next couple of hours my bonsai made these really weird, almost sort of, sucking noises!!!! I thought it was maybe because it was thirsty but I'd never heard of a plant making noises before!!!!

Anyway it stopped making the noises after a few hours, I was so worried about it!

And know I'm not sure if it really is in fact infested or something, because every now and then it'll take a little odd noise. Approx. every 10 mins or so in the night....I'm getting a bit freaked out by it but it's not my imagination because I showed it to my friends and they all heard it too....

I'm really lost as to what to do with it. I can't see any signs of bugs or anything but then again this is my first bonsai and I don't know what I should look out for....?

I'm also not sure I'm watering it right because it gets a few yellow/pale green leaves every now and then and the flowers aren't blooming anymore, the buds are just turning brown and dieing.....

Please someone help me.....

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

how do you water it? When you water bonsai it's important to soak the water through the soil completely. In order to make sure water does get to the roots instead of just running through air pockets or dry soils, some people water up to 3 times, each time making sure water drains out of the drain hole. Some people also immerse the whole pot in water for a few minutes.

It could be something living in your pot/soil and hopefully by thoroughly soaking it, it'd either come out or die.
ficus, maple, elm, juniper, pine

reindeer15
Newly Registered

I just put water in the tray and the roots suck the water up....?

Do you think it should be repotted because the roots are completely covering the draining holes?

What thing do you think is living in the pot/soil? Do you think it could be living in the tree instead?

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

good question, you got me there, maybe your tree is haunted :D

About repotting, In my climate the ideal time is in the spring. Being your tree is not healthy I suggest you wait until then. If I were you I'd pull the tree out of the pot one day when soil is completely dry and inspect the roots and prune away a little roots from the bottom. Do it at your own risk. Maybe someone else has better ideas.

JTred
Green Thumb

It sounds like it might just be an air/water exchange between the drainage holes. How are you watering your tree; from above or submerging it? Also you said something about a a tray? If that means that you have a drainage tray then that could be a problem. While it can be beneficial for some indoor trees to have a humidity tray you don't really want the bottom of your pot to sit in water.

reindeer15
Newly Registered

My bonsai is in a pot that sits on a normal tray/plate thing that is slightly bigger than the pot. The pot sits about a centimeter above the tray.
I don't have a humidity tray, should I have one?

The pot has two drainage holes and I just put water in the tray and the roots that are sticking out the drainage holes suck the water up.

But yeah I suppose the roots sit in the water for awhile before they "drink up" the water...

Am I watering the bonsai wrong? :(

JTred
Green Thumb

Check out this thread for proper watering tips.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479

Generally you don't want your bonsai sitting in water, as this will usually end it root rot. If you want or need a drip tray you can have one, just so long as the bottom of the pot isn't sitting in water. You can fix this by putting rocks or some other spacer under the pot to left it out of the water. Your current method of water probably isn't giving the tree enough water, and is actually blocking airflow to the roots. Add this to the fact that the bottom is constantly wet and you are bound to get root rot.

A humidity tray is a large tray filled with pebbles that is put underneath the pot. Then enough water is put in the tray to come up about halfway to the top of the pebbles. Again you don't want the bottom of the pot to sit in water. The pebbles make the water evaporate faster and create a little pocket of humidity around your tree.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Jtred is correct. I keep my Fukien above a shallow tray of water also but the water never comes up to touch the drainage holes, that's your problem 4 sure.

reindeer15
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for all the advice. :)

I changed the tray it was sitting in and now my bonsai has stopped making noises :D

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”