JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Ficus Repotting

Well, when I bought my pre-bonsai ficus, (which up until; recently I have believed to be a benjamina, but I am now having doubts...) I did not have proper bonsai soil. I recently purchased some, because I did not like the way my ficus was growing. It seemed to have stunted buds that wouldnt grow, and some of them even turned brown and fell off. I read one website (the link is on another board here) that said the soil was too wet, and it didnt have enough light. I decided to move it to a location where it gets about 3-4 hours of direct sunlight. I know most people advise to put it in indirect light, but as soon as I put it there, it showed new growth. Anyway, the whole reason for this post is to inform anyone about what I am doing to improve my ficus' health, in case they are afraid to try something. Basically I am the voluntary gunia pig. I'll keep everyone posted on how it is doing after being repotted.

I just have to mention, when repotting, I got a look at the root system for the first time. I am glad I repotted, as the roots did not seem too extensive, and were still wrapped around a clump of dirt the tree came in when I purchased it (one of those plastic red pots). I took a lot of the dirt off, and it seemed I lost some roots. Also, the trun of the tree is very interesting. I wish I had a picture. Next time I repot I will post one. (that could be a little far-off). The tree above the soil basically is a thin trunk leading up to a trunk ball sort of thing. Under the soil, it turns out the "ball" is really two thick pieces of trunk, with roots extending from them. This was the first time I ahve seen anythign like it, and I just thought id share it with you all, maybe someone has a tree like this?

Sorry for rambling so much, but I just figured it might be helpful to someone else who is having problems with a ficus.

Zombiefreak
Cool Member

The Image your descrbing sounds as though your tree had aerial roots that got buried before you purchased it. Maybe I'm just not understanding this too well.

Sharp

Or maybe it was done from air layering ...iuno.

Sounds cool though.

Once I moved my ficus to full sun it grew all its leaves back and then some. Its been doing well in full sun here in Utahs great desert excelling in 105 weather. Ive been worried about when it gets to winter. Ill have to bring it in, and hopefully it wont drop too much of its leaves.

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

it did look like it had aerial roots. I was going to espose them, but the problem was they're...slanted....as in...if they were straight, the tree would be at a 45 degree angle. I know this is hard to imagine, but its almost like the tree was bent at those roots. I mean I could ahve gone for a slanted style, but I don't think it would look good...For that reason, I buried them. Plus, I didnt want to expose the roots, as the root system was not that strong.(there aren't as many as I thought there would be. Maybe next year when I re-pot (or the year after) ill find something to do, with it because the aerial roots really are nice, it's a shame to bury them under the dirt...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”