scuabjon
Newly Registered

Roots

At what time of the year should I remove the tap root on the tree? I have grown a tree in a pot to the size I want it, and now want to stop it getting any bigger. Any help would be appreciated. scubajon

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

it would be helpful if you tell us what kind of tree it is...

scuabjon
Newly Registered

It's a deciduous English tree. The leaves are almost round but not quite in shape and the back of the leaves are slightly furry. I do not know at present what precise variety it is. I am trying to find out. scubajon

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

John,

Your temperate zone tree is established in a pot now, allow it to remain in this pot and overwinter it as you have been. Next spring just before bud break repot and begin your work on the roots.

Depending on the size of the current pot and the condition of the roots you probably will want to make the move to a bonsai pot in stages. A good training pot can be fashioned from 1x4 lumber. The bottom should be slotted, not solid. Screen will keep your soil from escaping.

In the meantime begin doing some research on soil mixes and root pruning.

Norm

scuabjon
Newly Registered

Hi, Norm, Thanks for the help and advice. I will certainly get some books and also see if there is a bonsai group near me although I've never seen one. Thanks also to Joelewko for the interest shown. Jon

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”