xoxo

Moss around Ficus?

I like the way Bonsai trees look with moss around them. I'd like to add some around mine.

Does it help, hurt, or doesn't affect the Bonsai, in this case, Ficus?

I have some moss that came around another plant. Last winter while it was in the house, the moss looked healthy. This year I left it outside, and both the plant and the moss died down. I brought the plant back inside about a week too late, but the moss came back out. I haven't been really taken care of it though, so it's coming out but still dying back in a few places.

[img]https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/bestestbuddy412/DSCF6278.jpg[/img]

Basically! I want to know if this moss would be okay to put around my Ficus?

If so, I'll start taking care of the moss (I was planning on just ditching it), let it get healthy again, and then move it.

Thanks. :)

Ashley

xoxo

Well, I just started looking it up, and I've read a lot of people didn't have success with transferring the moss.

Have any of you did it? If it's hard, just let me know and I probably won't bother with it. lol

Ashley

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

If I remember rightly I think its been said to keep moss off of bonsai. hmm can't remember *why* at the moment but I think I've read that somewhere. I'll do some more research and get back to you again if no one else does :D

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

ok I found where I read it at... it was on another topic. I simply went to "search the forum" which allowed me to type in moss and select the bonsai forum to search in. it came up with a bunch of different topics including your own and I found the post that explained why not to put moss on your bonsai.

"Moss tends to promote the retension of moisture in the soil, and reduces the air flow.

I would gently remove it from the surface, perhaps with toothpicks and toothbrush - especially at the base of the trunk. Air circulation is important for the health of your trees." - TomM

Hopefully Tom doesn't mind me quoting him :D Hope this helps. The health of the plant is much more important than what is pleasing to the eye :D G'luck! :D

TomM
Greener Thumb

Haha, I don't mind being quoted in context, and I basically stand by that one. But to clarify just a bit - and I'm no expert - I do use some moss on bonsai sometimes. When exhibiting at a show clumps of very low growing moss is added to "dress up" and add a more natural look to the bonsai. Sometimes small stones and clay figurines help to finish off and add interest and 'scale' to the overall design. Keep in mind that this is done for the short term exhibit use only.

What you have pictured is a taller, more bushy, form of moss. It doesn't work as well as the tight low moss. And the fact remains that, long term, the moss can be detrimental to the health of the tree - retaining too much moisture, preventing air-flow, risking root rot.

Moss has a good side too. It does add humidity to the area surrounding it. If you are in a hot dry area this can give the benefit of just a little extra moisture to your parched soil between waterings. Don't mean to confuse you, just make you aware that there are conditions to consider. Moss can be misted frequently to serve that purpose.

Hope I helped - best of luck with your ficus. Check out bonsaihunk.com for more expert advice from Jerry the ficus king !!!

xoxo

Yeahh, I'll probably just forget the moss for now then. lol

Maybe when I get more experienced I'll try it.

Thank you both! :)

Ashley

Marsman
Green Thumb

I use moss when I have exposed roots I want to keep moist. I never cover an entire pot since I do want to have air circulation.

[url=https://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/?action=view&current=821e9064.jpg][img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/th_821e9064.jpg[/img][/url]

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”