lms4483
Newly Registered

Please help, I think Chinese Elm may be dead...

I have a chinese elm I bought earlier this summer. Its been doing really well as far as I can tell, growing lots of little shoots that I had to prune about a month ago. However this is my first bonsai and I need some advice.

I was away for about two weeks and the person we left at our house to care for the animals and plants cared for the animals but neglected the plants. When I left, the tree did have a couple brown leaves, but nothing major. Upon my return, all the leaves are brown and brittle and they fall off at the slightest movement. I don't know if its too far gone for me to help or not. I adore this plant and don't know what to do. Please help.

This is what it looked like earlier this summer:
[img]https://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp34/kuromaru111/35753_1529352920528_1435883636_31450107_490364_n.jpg[/img]
This is what it looks like now:
[img]https://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp34/kuromaru111/bonsai.jpg[/img][img]https://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp34/kuromaru111/bonsai2.jpg[/img]

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

that looks too far gone, but to be sure, scratch the trunk at different locations and see if u see green under the outer bark.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Then, if any green is found when scraped, give your c. elm a good soaking. Bring it indoors, gently pick off the dead leaves. Keep it out of direct sun for now - and wait to see if new buds form. Tip pruning might also be wise.

We hope your little tree will survive, and that your next picture posting will show this. Please stay in touch.

lms4483
Newly Registered

Sorry to sound like a noob, but what is the best way to scrape the bark, and where should it be done? I fear doing further damage if it is actually alive. Also, how do you go about tip pruning properly?

TomM
Greener Thumb

Scratching the bark to determine if the tree is alive does no harm to it. Use your thumb nail and scrape a little in 2 or 3 places to look for signs of any green color. This indicates live tissue. It won't hurt anything and, if alive, it will heal over. If there is no green the tree might already be lost.

Tip pruning is simply a light haircut using sharp scissors to snip off dead tips. Branch tips die-back first when stressed. When cutting them off you might also see signs of green tissue at the cut. That's what we're looking for.

Don't be overly afraid of hurting your tree which looks quite dead already. Think more in terms of taking drastic action to save it, and follow the steps necessary. We do that with people. :shock:

lms4483
Newly Registered

There are definitely signs of green under the bark, so I'm going to do as you instructed. Just out of curiosity, not that I doubt what you have told me, but why should it be taken out of direct sunlight to try to heal?

Tachigi
Cool Member

With due respect to Tom M...don't bring it inside. Were in late summer and you can still get a bud pop in a "NATURAL" environment which will keep the tree less stressed something it needs right now.

As Tom did say...keep it out of direct sunlight...dappled or shade netting would be the ticket. Direct sunlight will dry faster...you want to have a more humid surrounding to induce bud pop....something the sun and wind in Pa tends to hinder.

If and when you get a new set of leaves, then move it indoors for the winter, and just "this" winter, to protect new growth. Lots of light and humidity is what it will need in the dark months.

Good luck with your tree...your not out of the woods yet...but there is a glimmer of hope.

lms4483
Newly Registered

I had already moved the tree in actually, as I just relocated to a college dorm. I could arrange to have it put back outside if I have to, but I can care for it better when its in my room. Is this a detrimental difference? If it means a better chance of survival for it I will make whatever arrangements needed.

Tachigi
Cool Member

Does the college have an Arboretum, or a green house? The decision is really yours if you want to put it outside or not. If you keep it in the dorm you might try keeping in or near an open window at least. The air won't be as dry as your dorm room. Pull it in at night and then do it all over again the next day.

Your in a tough spot being a college with a bonsai...if the environment doesn't get you, your room mate might. ;o)

lms4483
Newly Registered

I have been keeping it on the window ledge with the window open, and luckily I'm on the sunny side of the building so for a good part of the day there is sunlight (which is good since I have a few plants other than the bonsai). I'll have to look and see if the university has a greenhouse. I've never heard of there being one but it can't hurt to check. I havn't even met my roommate yet, but I know when I first met her her first question to me was "are you ok with plants in the room?" so I think she'll be willing to work with me if it means the survival of my lil tree.
I read that putting a small dish of water near the tree will help it with humidity. Do you know if this is true?
Also, since I'm now in a dorm I'm using city water which is chlorinated and everything else versus the well water I was using at home. Should I avoid the tap water here and get something like filtered water for it? I don't know how sensitive they can be to things like that.
I greatly appreciate your help!

Tachigi
Cool Member

Window = Good

Roommate that likes plants = Good

Humidity Tray = Good

Tap water is fine ... let it sit while your at classes or overnight to evaporate the chlorine. So it looks like your hooked up and ready to go!

You don't happen to be a Nittany Lion? 8)

lms4483
Newly Registered

I'm afraid not, though I am a lion. I go to Slippery Rock University.
thanks again for all your advice!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”