Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Collecting a landscape Arborvitae.

I wonder if anyone can offer me any advice on collecting a large landscape Arborvitae or Thuja, likely Thuja occidentalis? I have located a larged shrub that was damaged by last winters heavy ice storms we had in my area but I have no experience with this species. The bulk of the shrub has already been removed but there is a significant portion of foliage remaining.

The homeowner would like the shrub gone sooner rather than later so I have a decision to make. Ordinarily I would not hesitate to transplant such a shrub in the autumn but since I have my 'bonsai eye' on this one I am less sure. Is it safe to remove the garden soil in favor of a more free draining mix this time of year? Or conversely, if I am forced to leave the rootball intact for now, will next spring then be too soon?

Anyone worked with this species?

Norm

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Gnome,
I have one of these growing in my backyard. I have no experience on keeping these plants in a pot, or transplanting them, but I speculate that their roots run deep in the ground, and don't branch very often (this conclusion is based on my knowledge of other conifers, and my observations with the one in my backyard). For this reason, it might be best for you to dig it up with the soil around the roots.

I'm sorry that I can't give you any definitive answers. Outdoor bonsai were never my thing, and even after all these years I am still no more than a beginner. I know there are others out there who can help you more than I. :wink:

TomM
Greener Thumb

Norm, I am following this thread with great interest. After larch my favorite bonsai material just might be cedar (a close relative to your arborvitae) and very plentiful in my area, as I live in Cedarville, NY.

However I have little experience with large collected material. I have been using some smaller nursery stock emerald green arborvitae, but have just started putting collected material into the garden to grow out. Can not answer your questions but am very interested in learning all about the species. Hope we hear from some experts.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the replies guys.

bonsaiboy,
but I speculate that their roots run deep in the ground, and don't branch very often (this conclusion is based on my knowledge of other conifers, and my observations with the one in my backyard). For this reason, it might be best for you to dig it up with the soil around the roots.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see what I find when I dig it out. My fear is that leaving the garden soil while putting it into a container will be a problem. I might just have to put it in the ground for a while to recover.

TomM,
After larch my favorite bonsai material just might be cedar (a close relative to your arborvitae) and very plentiful in my area, as I live in Cedarville, NY.
My initial research surprised me concerning common names. It seems a lot of plants are called Cedar that are not Cedars at all. Thuja is one, although sometimes called Eastern White Cedar, it is not, a Cedar that is. Another is Eastern Red Cedar, which is actually a Juniper. Very confusing. :?

Norm

Tachigi
Cool Member

Hiya Norm,

This is my opinion and experience on the material you lust after.

Arborvitae doesn't make really good bonsai material...its branching and foliage are very two dimensional (Flat Foliage) So getting a a full (3D) effect for pad structure can be challenging to say the least. Foliage tends to be coarse so unless your doing a large tree it does seem to be out of proportion.

As far as my experience...I developed some early on in my bonsai venture. You can collect them this time of year...bare rooting them for more desirable soil will make them sulk the following year. I would collect a large root-ball and mulch it in well for the winter. Then address a fresh re-pot in the spring. I gave up on Arborvitae as the result was not very satisfying for time and effort...even Colin L. said that I was a bit daft for trying.

Bottom line here is, if your going to expend the effort on this material I would determine if the trunk lends to a design that supports a minimalistic style I.e. ... Literati/Bunjin. If you have a big ole honk'n trunk that needs a large canopy to support the visual weight of the trunk. I would evaluate your decision of effort vs. reward.

My thoughts for what their worth....good luck with this

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

Thanks for taking the time to offer your thoughts on collecting strategy as well as the other aspects.
its branching and foliage are very two dimensional (Flat Foliage) So getting a a full (3D) effect for pad structure can be challenging to say the least.
Yes, that is true of the material in question. The sprays are indeed very flat.
Foliage tends to be coarse so unless your doing a large tree it does seem to be out of proportion.
The individual scales themselves are very small but the overall impression is coarser. This specimen is rather large, it will be my largest tree to date. It's roughly a five inch trunk and about three feet high now.

So, although you are not a fan of this species, I take it that there are no inherent horticultural problems? No unexplained die back or failure to thrive in captivity? I can't resist the urge to give it a try. I have so may 'sticks' that make this one seem impressive in comparison.

Thanks again.

Norm

Tachigi
Cool Member

Nope, there are no inherent horticultural problems. No unexplained die back or failure to thrive in captivity.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

OK, I think I'll give it a shot, nothing ventured...

I'll definitely take your advice on the "how" Thanks again and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Norm

Marsman
Green Thumb

Gnome,

I'd love to see some pics of the tree. Good luck with it.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Marsman,

I will be sure to take pictures after I get it home. The weather here is just about to break, I think, so maybe in the next week or so. I'd rather leave it unitl spring but the homeowner has other ideas.

This is a big sucker and I'm not at all sure what I can do with it. Tachigi suggests simply heeling it in for now and that's OK by me, I don't have a large enough container or enough medium on hand now anyway. I'll make sure to measure the rootball so I'll know what size box to build and therefore how much medium I'll need.

Norm

TomM
Greener Thumb

Norm, Any new updates to add? Yeah I'm anxious to see this bad boy Thuga, and what you might have planned for it.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

Well, I hate to say but I may not be getting this piece of material at all. I went to collect it the other day and after an hour of digging it became apparent that it was not going to come out easily. All the while I was digging I kept thinking about Tom's (Tachigi's) comments that this species is problematic from a aesthetic standpoint. Eventually, being a little short for time that day, I came to the conclusion that it may not be worth the effort to continue.

I ended up backfilling the hole and apologizing to the homeowners. They were understanding and not at all upset, after all things were simply back to the way they were, but I felt like a fool. :oops: It gives me a new appreciation of what goes into collecting a really large piece of stock. In the future I will be more discriminating.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”