TomM
Greener Thumb

olive trees for bonsai

Am looking for care instructions for olive trees for bonsai, and specifically for ORGANIC fertilizer with directions for indoor use (in Central NY) zone 4/5.

I have found this https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/olive.htm and have ORGANIC Neptune Harvest fish fertilizer. But any additional info is appreciated.

Thanx

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Olive trees require dormancy periods, even if you keep them indoors. I don't know if you have already found a way to provide one, but keeping it in an unheated garage during winter is one way to do it. If you don't have a garage, you could bury the pot and main trunk several inches in a box filled with moss or peat, and keep that in a sheltered location outdoors.
הדמיון הוא יותר חשוב מאשר ידע

TomM
Greener Thumb

bonsaiboy, thanx for your reply. Much appreciated.

I was actually seeking advice for a friend who is too shy for forums. I don't have the olive tree and have not even seen it - but I was willing to help out with her questions, and I always like to learn something new. Olive trees intrigue me and I would love to work with an olive bonsai sometime soon.

You have made some interesting points here and I will pass them along. I hope to hear from others too.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”