Delilah
Cool Member

Keeping miniature trees alive in hot climates ... any tips?!

Hi

I have never yet succeeded in keeping young 'bonsai potentials' alive in the Sydney climate. How is it possible?

Because most bonsai need direct or filtered sun, there are times of the year when the tiny pots can dry to a cinder three or four times every day, making watering and survival of the plants impossible for anyone except the most incredibly OCD stay-at-home gardeners. Has anyone come up with a workaround for this - a way to keep the bases moist which does not involve rigging irrigation?! e.g. Does wrapping the bases in plastic work, ugly as that will be?

Also, such intense heat on the roots seems like a very bad idea in itself. How can the roots be kept cool - again, without having to tend to the plants several times a day?

derkap10
Cool Member

Hi Delilah,

Not sure if I'll be able to help but I'll try. Didn't realize the climate around Sydney got that hot. I live in the Southeastern United States (Central Mississippi). The average temp here at this time of year is upper 90's F (around 37 C). Last week we had temps for a couple of days that hit 105 F (40.5 C). The humidity here is pretty high though. Not sure what the humidity is like where you're at. All of my outdoor bonsai's are either on my back porch or right next to the back porch. Since I work in the evenings, usually leaving each day around noon or 1PM, I go out and spray the concrete floor of my back porch with water before I leave. I will also spray the porch down around midnight or 1AM after I get home. I also spray the ground around the plants beside the back porch to keep it somewhat moist. Not sure how much it helps the temps but it does keep the humidity up and keeps the happy little trees from drying out so quick. Something else you can try is putting a brick in a plastic container, filling the container with water to just under the level of the top of the brick, and putting your trees on the brick. Sort of like this...

[img]https://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad43/derkap10_photo/Bonsai/BudgetBonsaiSeries013.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad43/derkap10_photo/Bonsai/BudgetBonsaiSeries012.jpg[/img]

Although the trees in the pictures are Bald Cypresses that I'm actually trying to keep really wet, hence the fact that the bottom of the pot is actually in the water, you would probably not want to have the bottom of your pots actually in the water. Maybe have it just above the water. My Cypresses I'm keeping really wet in the hopes that, maybe 20 years from now, some of my trees might develop 'Cypress knees' like.....

[img]https://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad43/derkap10_photo/Bonsai/CypressTrail010.jpg[/img]

So, containers with water, trees placed just above the water, maybe help some. Also keep a fair amount of humidty, if possible, around the whole area. Tis only a suggestion. There's several people on this forum from Florida who can probably give some good advice as well. Hope this helps a bit.

P.S. I work in the wine business and am right now enjoying a really nice glass of McWilliams Pinot Noir from SE Australia :lol: .

Gandalph

Try spreading some sphagnum moss around the surface of the pot and wetting it. It retains moisture very well in the heat. I have done this quite successfully with a number of Bonsai, Bougies, Bald Cypress, Trident Maples, etc. to keep the soil from drying out during the recent heat near St. Louis in Zone 6.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Delilah,

I have a few more suggestions. Try growing plants that are local and already adapted to the environment. Avoid the smaller classifications of bonsai in favor of trees in larger pots, this will help with the pots drying so quickly. Potential bonsai are better grown in larger training containers so bonsai pots may not be appropriate yet anyway.

If you must keep plants in very small pots group several together in a large, shallow tray that has drainage holes. Fill in around the pots with fine grained bonsai soil or coarse sand. Keep this material wet to moderate the temperature and moisture fluctuations of the smaller pots.

Set up an area with shade cloth to keep the little pots cooler. This is available in different grades and should not be too expensive.

Norm

Jalopy19
Cool Member

It must be that time of year, but I had a similar question I was about to post. I have a few trees which are getting a little crispy along the edges despite my daily watering in the 107 Kansas summer. They are on my balcony (only place I have in my apartment) which faces East.

I topped off all of my trees with "Fugiama" soil mixed with some sifted diatomaceous earth (about 2/3 soil to 1/3 earth). I figure this increases the volume of water it can hold per watering.

I bought a 10 foot X 6 foot piece of 60% shade cloth. I have a small plant stand which has area under it which an accommodate about 4-5 trees. I have made a "shade chamber" which is exposed to the Eastern sun most of the morning.

Is this an acceptable solution to the hot sun of the hottest part of the summer?
Is this safer than leaving them out at the risk of them drying out/ getting baked?
Am I depriving them of sun at an important part of the year?
Has anyone tried this?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, Thanks.

J.B.
Newly Registered

I am from a hot part of S.A.-obviously not as hot as kansas,but anyway-I agree with gnome about larger pots.all of my trees are in full sun + I've put most of them in 25cm pots....water once a day no problemo...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”