manofthetrees

conifer pruning

I am new to conifer bonsai,I have 2 maples and a fig tree .my question is about what season I should do a drastic pruning. I have just purchased a "pinus mungo" which has an 1 1/2 inch trunk ( don't no how old) and alot of long branches. I have read info on pruning so I have a basic idea of what I'm doing. the tree is nusery stock and needs exessive thinning and shortening of the branches. all branches have new growth and 1 to 3 new buds forming on the tips.most of the branches have 2 to 3 inches of needles on them so I have room to prune them without killing them. any info will be greatly appreitiated.[/I]

Moderators note: In another, nearly duplicate, thread the OP mentioned that this tree was recently repotted.

Marsman
Green Thumb

I'd love to see some pictures of your tree.

As for pruning, it's way too hot now to work on it. It will stress the tree.

[url=https://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATMugo%20Pines%20Indepth.htm]This article may help you and your Mugo[/url]
Young Mugo pines will tolerate styling and repotting during the Summer. However, it is ordinarily recommended that the styling and wiring of Mugo pines is carried out in late Summer/early Autumn as with other Pine species

manofthetrees

thanks for the info. sorry I just posted relativly the same question today y'all can ignore that one I diidnt see it posted today :oops:.
anyway will cutting the branches shorter ( not candleing) result in backbudding or should I candle the branches,wait for backbudding and then cut them to the desired length? thanks again.
p.s ill see if I can get a picture it is a pinus muno 'sunshine' and it rushes in a lite yellow almost flower like pretty cool

manofthetrees

took a while but here the link for the pic. she needs some work but its a nice starter

[url=https://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=1886858028/a=3558595028_3558595028/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/]Link[/url]

Marsman
Green Thumb

Nice tree. (It's trying to get me to log into SnapFish, but I already belong to too many sites.)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

manofthetrees,

Hello and welcome. I took the liberty of making your link a hot link as it was so long it was breaking our template. I also deleted your duplicate thread so there would be no confusion.

As far as the tree is concerned I think the first thing you should do is to consider if you are satisfied with the trunk. In other words is it time to begin refining the branches or do you wish it thicker?

Norm

manofthetrees

thanks, I'm a nubie to this forum stuff. yes I agree it does need some drastic cutting but the tree has a nice 3 tierd affect which is why I puchased it. the problem is the tree was prund once and left now I have large bunches of long branches off the main trunck with no offshoots. I cut a large section off the top which balanced the shape more,I jst don't know how to deal w/ the rest. I want to cut the branches down by half on the middle and top sections to try and get a larger number of branches that are not so thick in diameter ,but I don't no if this is a good idea. everything I have read about pruning has delt w/ candleing but not drastic pruning. any info will be appriciated. thnx again

TomM
Greener Thumb

There is a lot of info on mugo pines (aka mountain pine) on the web - but if you want personal instructions on caring for/styling your specific tree I would suggest that you contact your local bonsai club. In western New York you are blessed with a hotbed of experts at the Buffalo Bonsai Society and the Bonsai Society of Upstate New York. It happens that in August they have "open workshops" and you can bring your tree in for advice. That's what the clubs are for. :wink:

a fellow upstater

manofthetrees

sweet I'll look into that. thank y'all

Tachigi
Cool Member

This is another article on Mugo by Vance Woods. Vance is probably the leading authority in the states when it comes to Mugo as bonsai.

[url]https://www.bonsaivault.com/The_Ubiquitous_Mugho_Pine.html[/url]

Hope the info helps

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,
This is another article on Mugo by Vance Woods.
I read over Vance's article and it seems that it does not address the OP's actual question.

My track record with this species is dismal which is why I did not offer more specific advice. If I undearstand the question, manofthetrees is seeking advice on inducing back budding on one or two year old wood that still has needles. The tree was recently repotted which, according to Vance, is not a problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”