Rudegur
Newly Registered

I need help to keep my tree alive

I'm sure I could find this information in any number of these bullitens, but I don't have the time to search though all of these things, unless someone wants to show me.

Anyway, I have a pomagranet bonsai and up until recently, it has been doing very well. You see, I live in Arizona and it would seem the intense heat is killing my tree. And bringing it inside is definetly not a good choice because the AC has caused alot of the leaves to fall off. I'm just not sure what to do anymore. Can anyone help me?

Rudegur
Newly Registered

Sweet... tree's dead. Thanks alot, everyone!

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

I have a feeling not everyone heres is that familiar with pomegranate bonsai. Maybe thats why no one responded. I was going to post something, but I knew nothing on the topic, and kew of no resources where I had come across anything, not even a thread on this forum. If I had to guess, if you're tree was dropping leaves 7 days ago, it was probably dead anyway, and would have been nothing you could do to save it. Also, are you sure it's dead? it could just be dropping leaves due to stress. Also, try not to get sarcastic here. there are a million other websites where you could have done research. Just because no one here knew about it doesnt mean nobody does. I've learned that with bonsai, since everybody has their own way of doing things, these people like to share their techniques with others. That means there is no shortage of information at your local library and the internet. I hope this bad experience doesnt turn you away from bonsai.

Rudegur
Newly Registered

Let me just ask you this, a question I'm sure anyone could have answered; what would you do for your tree, any kind, in an extreme heat enviornment? As I said, my tree was doing just fine before the summer hit, and then I just didn't know what to do. I didn't have time or transportation to go out and look for things. I just moved, school is starting up, job etc. etc.

I'm totally not turned off to bonsai, trust me. This is my second tree, the first time I was too young and had no idea at all what I was doing. My next tree will be different, I just don't want to get another one until I know how to deal with them during the summers here.

Sharp

Sorry to hear about your tree.

It sounds like your life at this time with having moved/school/job landing at a bad time to invest enough of your own time to research for the answers you need. I'm afraid one question on a message board wont cut it. :( Thats unfortunate and I hope things open up for you so you can truly delve into learning the craft. A rewarding experience indeed.

I also suggest as soon as you can get some books. They just seem to have the edge over the net imho.

The books that I do have suggest this for Pomegrantes:
(assuming you'd like to venture that variety again)

Its a very tender tree not one for beginners.

They tollerate temps ranging from 65-100 def F.

The enjoy full sun outside, but in your case you could have brought it in near a window away from any drafts if possible.'

Watering: keep moist at all times, water prolifically when flower buds and fruit are swelling. Reduce water to a miniumim if leaves fall.

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

I would keep it moist at all times. I know here in NY, we're starting a heat wave, and I'm starting to mist my bonsai multiple times a day. and water them a lot more often also.

Rudegur
Newly Registered

I went to a nursery and got a little help and went and picked up a book. I'm not sure though, if my tree is meant to be kept inside or out. Does anyone know? I'm thinking right now about keeping it inside as of now. The leaves are all shrivled, but they are not falling off yet. Only when near an AC unit do the leaves tend to fall off my tree.

So has nobody here really had any experience with a pomegrante bonsai? I don't have any other friends interested in plants, really, so this is where I came. I couldn't find any other sites that were nearly good enough for helping me, either. I'm very picky and if I can't find the exact information I'm looking for, I just completely skip out on the site.

Sorry about the comment earlier, though. I knew if I didn't say something negative, I wouldn't ever get any responses on this, so I figured I'd get a rise out of a few people to get some response on here. It worked! And thanks for the help. Any continuing advice I can get on this matter would be quite appreciated. I'm still not sure what kind of high temperatures my tree can withstand. I can't seem to find any good sources of information. The book, although it goes into some detail about my type of tree, doesn't tell me the maximum temperatures it can withstand.

Sharp

Its about 100def F max. So if temps are rising above that make sure its in some good shade.

Morning light will be perfect for it.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Rudegur,

A quick google search on "pomegranate bonsai" returned more than 49 thousand hits, this one among them.

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Punicia.html[/url]

This information was located very easily.

Norm

Rudegur
Newly Registered

That is a great site, thanks. Most of those sites don't give me good enough info, I looked it up myself. I never got that site before, though, thanks.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”