guilhermecahu
Newly Registered

I want to start a bonsai. But how?

Hi, I'd like to start a bonsai of passion fruit tree and another one of orange tree but I don't know how to start a bonsai from zero.

So, does someone have any tutorial about this?
I'd be glad to know about this, it's the only way to plant a tree in an apartment! xD

Anyway, thanks for all! =D

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

there r many different trees you can keep in an apartment. I've no experience with growing the trees you speak of in an apartment. Start with easy trees already trained or as bonsai seedlings or starter trees. It is not so different from indoor container plants the fact it requires proper light and water. Bonsai culture uses fast draining soil which are required by many types of bonsai trees in order to ensure its long term survival by providing good drainage to prevent root rot and to give the root system more oxygen. If you are able to figure out how to keep it alive, it's time to start training it into the shape you want by pruning or wiring. There are many info on this site and on the internet. Also there are bonsai books. I'd recommend joining a local bonsai club also.

guilhermecahu
Newly Registered

Hi linlaoboo thanks for your help, but I don't have any time to join a bonsai club, neither to buy/read books about this, but I have time to do homemade things.

I's been difficult to find good texts and tutorials in internet because there are lots of courses of bonsai and people don't use to share complete information about the art of bonsai.

I want to do something with my own hands, from my own, and that's because I don't want to buy bonsais ^_^"

JTred
Green Thumb

I don't know about the trees you mentioned, but ficus, schefflera, and fukien tea are all good indoor beginner trees. I would try to find one that is larger than what you want and then cut it down to the size that you want. I know from experience that waiting for a tree to grow into what you want is a painful process for someone who has the enthusiasm of a beginner.

If you want good indoor growth you will probably need some type of supplemental lighting. I use a compact flourescent bulb, one of the sprial ones for when my ficus comes inside.

Like linlaoboo said, if you want to create a nice bonsai on your own without buying one, you're going to have to do some reading. There's a wealth of info on this site if you lurk about, as well as many blogs and how-to websites. Books are cheap and thorough too. I have a book called Bonsai: 101 essential tips, it's short, succinct, and pretty thorough, and it was only about $5. I believe it's published by DK. If you haven't got time to read a little about bonsai then there's no sense in wasting your time shooting in the dark.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Here is a link to a topic I created about bonsai and my confusion of it :wink:
[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27497&start=0[/url]
It has really helped me in the process of beginning my first bonsai from scrap, and might give you an idea as well on what to do to start out. Bonsai however is something that will require a lot of time, research, and even reading for that matter. A lot of beginning a bonsai at first is just being able to keep it alive in a pot to grow out the trunk a bit more. Its a lot of information to take in and is a long long process but I've seen photos of very aged bonsai and I bet the gratification you get when you have gotten one to that point on your own must be wonderful.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

I'm pretty sure in the tropics of Brazil you will be able to collect suitable trees to bring home and keep as indoor bonsais. This is called collecting instead of buying. I am not sure if the passion fruit and orange trees are proven indoor bonsai material. Post some pictures and maybe someone will have more suggestions for you. This is why Jtred mentioned some typical, proven, easy to keep, true indoor bonsais for you. Many plants can live indoors, but they don't qualify to be a Bonsai in its strict definition which has a lot of criteria you can find out by doing the proper research. Many also concentrate on the "art" of Bonsai and therefore it can be different things to different people because it's art. Hope you find what you are looking for.

guilhermecahu
Newly Registered

Thanks you so much, folk!
I'm going to look for and read more informations about bonsais.

Thank you for all!
(If possible, I'll post my work here, when it's done ;D)

Marsman
Green Thumb

guilhermecahu,

If you want to make a bonsai, you're going to need patience. There are no instant bonsai. The skill to train a tree is learned over time and does take effort to master, if it is ever mastered.

There's a plant called the Brazilian rain tree that makes a wonderful bonsai. Just do a Google on [url=https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=brazilian+rain+tree+bonsai&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=]brazilian rain tree bonsai[/url] and you'll find all kinds of info.

Also, Googling to find local clubs might find one close to you. Clubs are a great place to meet others who can help you hone your skills. You still shape your own tree, but you learn the steps to create a true bonsai.

guilhermecahu
Newly Registered

Thank you, Marsman, I'll look around to see what I can do.

Again, thanks, everyone!

unlikely_gardener
Newly Registered

Hi all,

Do I understand correctly that guilhermecahu is trying to bonsai fruit trees? I thought the bonsai is a type of plant.

I have a few gardenias and hibiscus that I would like to sculpt into something that looks more like a tree and less like a bush/hedge. Are bonsai techniques something that could be applied to most plants with thick stems?

Thanks!

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I think you had the right idea when you stated you would read more on bonsai. Definitely, the best way to start the hobby of bonsai is to read about it first, as it will give you a much clearer picture of it than anything we can say here. A book can show you pictures of techniques, what you should be aiming for when you attempt to bonsai something, and most books have a good list of species for both indoor and outdoor materials. However, seeing as you live in Brazil, you would probably want to stick to indoor materials, which would be your outdoor stuff, too.

That being said, invasive plants like scheffleras and some species of tropical figs might be prohibited in your area. But to answer your original question, citrus plants can make good bonsai, so long as they have full sun.

guilhermecahu
Newly Registered

Thanks, man!
I joined a brazilian bonsai forum and I'm learning a lot there.
Even I was invited to join a local bonsai club event that happens every month.

Thanks a lot, all of you.
Now I'm working on a Ficus, on a Clitoria fairchildiana and on another 2 species that I need to identify ^_^

Thank you! o/

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

If you would like any help from us identifying those trees, you can post a few pictures here. Maybe someone will know what trees it is you're dealing with.

guilhermecahu
Newly Registered

OK, Thanks! ^_^

So, I need to identify a Ficus...
A member from the other forum said it may be Ficus benjamina. What do you think about?

[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4861088354_ceca96fd43_b.jpg[/img]
(This seed at left side is a Leucaena leucocephala)

[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4861089082_7b4959e324_b.jpg[/img]

There are Ficus everywhere, here. lol

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”