Anonymous

Choosing a Bonsai for an Apartment

I am very excited about getting into the art of bonsai. I recently purchased a kit with a 156 page book about maintaining and growing bonsai, a pot, wires, and a sheer tool.

I'm still confused about beginning. I thought you had to begin by growing a bonsai from a seed.

Do I just buy a bonsai from a site (since there are no shops near me)?

How would I use the wires to shape the bonsai if its already grown?

I believe my pot is somewhat small (but not too small) so I don't know what bonsais would be appropriate for it. Also, I live in an apartment so is there a bonsai I could grow inside and bring outside every once and all?

femlow

Bonsai don't have to be started from seed. You can start them from cuttings and air layering, you can find a seedling already growing and dig it up (if the root system isn't already too developed), and you can always buy a more mature one. What I think you have in mind is often called pre-bonsai. They are still small but have had little or no work done on pruning or shaping, so its kind of like starting from scratch, without all the waiting of using seeds. One site that I know of that sells these is [url]https://www.bonsaiofbrooklyn.com/[/url] or you can probably go to a local nursery and find a small that would work, especially since you are just beginning.

If you don't have a lot of access to outside, ficus are really good for indoors, as long as they have enough light, and you don't have animals that will eat them like I do. You can also look into other tropical species that will be suitable for indoors. You will probably want to start with a less expensive species while you are still learning, just so any mistakes will not be so costly. You may also want to see if there are any bonsai groups in your area, or if there is a community college or similar with a bonsai course you can take. It makes learning a lot easier.

If you buy an older bonsai, it will probably have already been shaped by someone else before you get it, so unless you want to change the shape, requirements for wiring will be minimal. Depending on how old the tree is, it's pruning requirements will vary, however even if its old, if its still growing it will require maintenance.

fem

Anonymous

How would I know if a Bonsai is pre-bonsai? What are some cheap beginner tropical species I should look into?

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

ficus benjamina is a vry good beginner bonsai. It is good because it tolerates low light, and erratic watering. Really any typre of ficus is good. A bonsai is a pre-bonsai if it hasnt been shaped, wired, or pruned significantly.

A little off topic, but fem, your pets eat your ficus? I didnt know pets did that..ive never had a pet that eats plants....good thing I have a dog that can't reach my bonsai....

femlow

I have indoor cats that will munch anything green they can get their hnds on. I have to keep my houseplants in the bathroom with the door closed and a grow light in there, and if I ever get pineapple, it has to be tucked into the fridge right away or it will be gnawed on in no time.

fem

Anonymous

Are there any others besides ficus? A lot of ficus plants I've seen are very ugly in my opinion. How these?: Brush Cherry, Dwarf Japanese Juniper, Chinese Elm, Thousand Star Serissa. I found those on BonsaiBoy.com and BonsaiofBrooklyn.com

Sharp

Unit134679 wrote:Are there any others besides ficus? A lot of ficus plants I've seen are very ugly in my opinion. How these?: Brush Cherry, Dwarf Japanese Juniper, Chinese Elm, Thousand Star Serissa. I found those on BonsaiBoy.com and BonsaiofBrooklyn.com
Ficus can make some of the most wonderful bonsai.
[img]https://www.ncarboretum.org/Horticulture/Bonsai/October_2004_pics/lores_4684.jpg[/img]

its all personal choice really. Are you going to keep this indoors? Alot of those you just mentioned are outdoor bonsai mostly.

Find a good bonsai book that will go thru all the different types and their comfort temp ranges etc.

Anonymous

I am going to keep it outdoors but I can bring it outside every once and a while. I have a book but all the types it listed I can't find

femlow

Bringing it outside every once in a while probably won't do the trick. It may atually stress the plants because of the change of conditions, and many trees require a period of cold dormancy in the winter to be healthy and growing in the spring. [url]https://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/jardin/en/info_verte/feuillet_bonsai/tableau.htm[/url] has a table of tropical and subtropical species which may be appropriate for indoors, but I can't attest to how accurate it is, so if you find a species on there that you like, research it before trying to grow it inside.

fem

Sharp

The thiing I really enjoy about bonsai is that you can really delve into or just enjoy it as is.

Meaning, I can buy ready made bonsai... keep em alive, enjoy the look and feel of them. Trim then when needed, shape them as my heart desires and whatnot.

I know alot of people will go and find a nice juniper plant at their local HomeDepot or whatnot and then trim those and cut them up. (Another site I frequent had a contest actually doing that.)

So if you aren't afraid to just delve right in, pick a tree and ask LOTS of questions.

Anonymous

I wasn't sure if Home Depot had any bonsai plants; I'll look around there. I want to be able to trim and shape a bonsai into a cascade style or something like it. Thanks for the link femlow, I found an attractive indoor plant I like: [url=https://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/product2315.html]Orange Jasmine[/url]. How is that? What type of soil should I get? I read that 1/2 sharp sand and 1/2 peat is good. Also what about a pot or humidity/drip tray?
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

femlow

From what I could find, this is a very versatile species, however it does prefer full sun. You will likely not get the blossoms you hope for if you grow it inside, and it will probably not grow as speedily either.

A 50:50 organic/aggregate mixture is pretty common, but some suggest 75% inorganic and 25% organic, and others use nothing but inorganic material. It is most important that a bonsai mix drians very well, or your roots will rot or grow fungus, and because a bonsai is not able to grow like a full size tree, it will not be able to outgrow the problem. I normally use a lot of broken bisque-fired clay, which is a similar idea to turface or akadama but cheaper and easier to find, atleast for me, because I have it around the house. I add a little old compost and soil because I started off a traditional veggie gardener and cant bring myself to grow my plants without a little good old fashioned dirt. Over time, most people end up with their own recipe that works and is convenient for them. They learn what they need to do with that particilar mix, and you will probably do the same. An informative site on the subject is [url]https://www.bonsailearningcenter.com/Tips&Advice/soil.htm[/url]

fem

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

I think 75 percent inorganic is better....I think 50 percent organic would retain too much moisture...then again, you could modify your watering to the soil you use...

I woudnt buy a bonsai at home depot, I hear nothing but bad things from any bonsai enthuiast. What sharp was saying was people buy a juniper seedling..or larger plant, and make it a bonsai by wiring it and trimming it.

Anonymous

Should I buy the soil (70% inorganic and 20% organic) from Home Depot? Should it be like peat or sharp sand?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Unit,

Most enthusiasts make their own soil. Excuse me if I missed something but did you already purchase a tree? If not then worrying about soil is putting the cart before the horse. Depending on what you end up purchasing you may not need to repot any time soon. Few species should be repotted at this time of year anyway.

Your post is entitled, "choosing a bonsai for an apartment", then you wrote that you were going to keep it outside, I am confused. I assume that you have a balcony of some sort. If you can keep a tree outside yearound then you have a lot more options regarding choice of species species. Also if you are going to keep it outside, if only throughout the summer, then your locality and the conditions on your balcony become relevant. The first thing that you should do is clarify in your own mind which approach that you wish to take.

The material at your local box store that is sold as bonsai is probably inferior and overpriced, I would avoid these items. Pre-bonsai may, at first glance, resemble conventional nursery stock or may be a little further along. The key feature being that the tree has been grown with the intention of becoming bonsai. Roots are handled in a specific manner and low branches are encouraged. etc. You will not find this material at your local nursery and certainly not at the box store. This type of material comes from nurseries that specialize in this field. You can also purchase a tree that has already been styled, this will of course be more expensive.

Do your research first, buy a tree and spend some time getting to know the cultural requirements of the plant that you have chosen. Styling can come later.

Norm

Anonymous

I havent purchased a tree yet Gnome. I'm planning on buying that Orange Jasmine I showed earlier. Sorry if you are confused. I am living in an apartment and my bonsai will be kept inside, but I am able to bring the tree out on a balcony every once and a while if needed.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Unit,
Sorry if you are confused.
If I were a more cynical person I might mistake that as sarcasm, but being the magnanimous individual that I am I'll assume that it was not your intention to be rude.

When you write something like this,
I am going to keep it outdoors but I can bring it outside every once and a while.
it should not come as a surprise that you are asked to clarify your remarks.

By the way, when someone goes out of their way to help you it is customary to offer thanks, a misunderstanding not withstanding.

Norm

Sharp

:)

Anonymous

Um..I'm not being sarcastic. I was sorry you were confused. Clarification on my remark:

I will be living in an apartment while attending school. Considering that I'll be attending school everyday and working everyday I will only have a few opportunities to leave my bonsai outside on the balcony. I rather leave my bonsai on the balcony when I am home because I am afraid of it being stolen or destroyed.

Gnome, there is no need to tell me the custom of offering thanks. I understand this already. I have said thanks already.

If you take any of this harsh or rude, well you took it wrong--much like my past remarks.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”