BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Bonsai Measurements?

Is there a general format that people in the world of Bonsai follow for taking Bonsai measurements? I know the trunk measurement is important but what else should I be measuring to keep record? In case I am ever asked this kind of information from someone I would like to know what kinda information in measurements I'd need to give them. :D
Confusion at its Finest :D
I'm rooting for you!

*USDA Zone 8b :: Sunset Zone ?*
https://bewilderedgreeny.weebly.com/

zewald

the basic measurements i've always heard, and tried to go by are as follows:

for display, the depth of the pot should be as deep as the trunk is wide.
the trunk should be 1/6 the height of the trunk
the first branch should be situated at 1/3 the height of the trunk
the second branch should be situated at 1/3 the distance from the first branch to the apex
the third branch should be situated at 1/3 the distance from the second branch to the apex
and the apex foliage should start 1/3 of the distance from the 3rd branch to the top.

These are only guidelines, and can be dramatically altered in order to create really unique and interesting designs.

Also, from an aerial view, the 3 major branches should create a scalene triangle, where none of the sides or angles created are the same length.

also, here's a page with all the rules that i could possibly think of (it's not my page)

[url]https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/rules.htm[/url]

Hope that helps,

Zach
So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow (I Cor 3:7)

Victrinia Ridgeway

When working with old collected material... all of these rules go out the window. ;) You have to work with what you get.

Working with material is more about proportion and flow than anything... simplify the structure as much as possible.... and get progressivly smaller as the tree's structure extends. Also try not to have branches that are higher up on the tree be larger than ones below, or that will blow your image out of the water.

Have fun...

V
La belle cose prendono tempo... (Beautiful things take time...)

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Victrinia Ridgeway wrote:When working with old collected material... all of these rules go out the window. ;) You have to work with what you get.
V
hmm by old material do you mean material purchased from a nursery from say a 6 inch pot?

All this measuring stuff boggles me.. I figured you just needed to record the circumference of the trunk..and the length of the trunk not the proportion of the first branch to the second and the second to the third and the first branch to the trunk and the trunk to the height of the trunk. Maybe understanding all this proportion stuff comes with experience. But for now I'm just wondering what "general" measurements I should be taking other then the circumference of the trunk and the length of the trunk nutz: if there are any.

Is the proportion stuff something I need to be working on right now? Would it still be a bonsai if the first branch weren't 1/3 the height of the trunk? :?
I'm rooting for you!

josh1812@live.com

This is a topic that is quite controversial really what these are, are guides to making a convincing bonsai. It also depends on a style that rule does not apply to some styles like literati but should be followed in upright trees and very strictly with banyans.

What is or isn't a bonsai is very personal to the artist in my opinion a pruned down shrub with no real shape or thickness to it is not a bonsai rather a topiary whether or not the first branch is 1/3 up the trunk. To me a bonsai is a plant evocative of a tree in nature just miniaturized anything else to me is just a pre-bonsai or a shrub. Usually nursery specimens provide great grounds to practice but unless lots of work and even more time is applied it might one day make something worthwhile
Last edited by josh1812@live.com on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HI

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Josh, Thankyou for taking 'time' to respond.
*Most of the answers to most of your questions can be found with minimal effort if you at least try to search on the internet or already existing posts and could save time by just reading these*
* Your end comment came off as a bit rude.. I am looking for clarification on the subject, please try not to assume that I or others haven't done research just because the questions that are being asked are familiar to you.*[/quote]
I'm rooting for you!

josh1812@live.com

I noticed it did as well as the other post before I truly apollogize if this came off rude to you

What i was trying to say is that the internet is a great source for getting more than one point of view and a great place to explore and gain knowledge on the subject.

Again im sorry :oops:
HI

Victrinia Ridgeway

Old collected means old collected.... not nursery grown. :)

[img]https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/theladysabine/EricCedar1.jpg[/img]

This is a cedar my hubby started training last year... it's probably 150+ years old, and as I said... you work with what you get. ;)

Don't get yourself twisted up about rules... just make something that speaks to you. In a year or two you'll chuckle at the things you started with... and you'll find your eye and sense of proportion has improved. Spend some time training your eye to appreciate well done bonsai by doing a lot of googling for images etc... it'll inspire you. :)

V
La belle cose prendono tempo... (Beautiful things take time...)

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Wow that is gorgeous V!! :D It really is inspiring to see such a gorgeous tree. I feel much better about it now, if mistakes happen then they happen :) Nature has a way of making things beautiful :D Thanks :D
I'm rooting for you!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”