Wendy
Newly Registered

Bonsai turning brown and drying up

I purchased one of those mini bonsai kits and it has been growing well for about 5 months, but now one of the trees' foilage (there's two growing in the little container) is turning brown and seems to be slowly drying up. The other one is fine. I water it carefully, monitoring it and sometimes putting it on an west window sill, other times in the tray by the same window, which I believe is sufficient lighting, especially during the summer. I didn't have the heart to remove the weaker one as it says in the instructions, and I want to keep both trees from dying, but realize the obvious that they have to share the nutrients in the soil. Do I need to remove one or can it be saved somehow? And exactly what does the browing of the leaves mean? Thank you for any advice or suggestions!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It may be a disease issue and then you're threatening the healthy one by leaving the dead one in (and yes, it's likely dead :( ) The browning could be a lot of things, really; as it hit one and not the other Isuspect a pathogen of some sort...Plants never grow at the same rates and it may be that one simply outcompeted the other. Don't view this as failure; you will likely kill a few trees on the way to competency (Lord knows I have :cry: ) so view it as a learning experience and move on...

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”