js2holland
Newly Registered

Need help to identify bonsai tree

Hi All, just wondering if anyone could help me in identifying this type of tree. I think it could either be a ficus (fig) or fukien tea.
Take a look at the picts here:
[url]https://js2holland.blogspot.com/[/url]
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
justin

Sharp

Looks like a ficus. NOt sure exactly what kind.

Zombiefreak
Cool Member

Fukien tea seems to have a really glossy foilage. Ficus possibly but more than either of these two mentioned it resembles a Ligustrum "privet" to me because of the smooth gray bark and the way the leaves have a ripple along the edges. I looked through a few books and I'm still not postive. But upon viewing the first pictures Ligustrum came to mind.

js2holland
Newly Registered

Thanks for the replies.... Are there any websites with good images and descriptions of different trees? I've seen quite a few websites that have short descriptions but they generally don't have images with a lot of detail and the descriptions are too general for me to determine exactly what kind of tree I have. There must be some nice sites out there that I haven't come across... I'm also on the lookout for a good book about bonsai but being in holland I also have the trouble of getting an english book...
Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
justin

Zombiefreak
Cool Member

Look at my book reviews post as well I don't know of a whole lot of sights when I go searching for bonsai sights it usually end up so convoluted that I just give up

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

there are a lot of sites listed on this forum, you just have to look. I'm not really familiar with their exact names, but some are like, four seasons bonsai, bonsaihunk..so id try typing those into google, and see what happens.

js2holland
Newly Registered

trust me, I do have a lot of bonsai sites in my "Favorites" - probably too much!! :shock:
The problem is that I find it hard in any of them to enter a tree name and find a clear description with good images. Many of them have general descriptions with only a few pitcures (and the pictures usually don't have a sufficient amount of detail) so that I find it difficult to determine with any certainty what kind of tree I have...
I'll definitely keep looking on the web and at the books Zombiefreak discusses... I just thought with all the experience you guys have with bonsai that someone could point me in the right direction. I'll also have a look at "four seasons bonsai" since I hadn't visited that site before...
thanks again for the responses.
justin

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

four seasons has a lot of helpful info (then again, most of these sites do). you can also use google image search. even though you will get non-bonsai, if you have an idea of the type of tree you are looking for, there are no shortage of images.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”