JoeLewko
Green Thumb

lighting for ficus question

I have recently taken my ficus benjamina indoors, as for some reason, there have been more than normal sparatic thunderstorms in my area. It seems that my ficus that was outside never had a chance to dry out, as it rained so much, so I decided to take it inside. I know this plant is a great indoor bonsai, but I am a little concerned with lighting. I have it in a corner, where there are two windows, on facing south, and one facing west. In the day, I try to open the blinds so that the light is being directed at the bonsai. The south window usually gets direct light from early afternoon to late afternoon, and the west window gets direct light from early evening until around 8 pm. I am jsut wondering if this setup is ok. I don't want to have my bonsai bake in the heat, nor do I want it to be deprived of sunlight. I know the ficus benjamina can get used to low light, but how much is too little? also, this plant is near a floor heater, is it going to be ok for when I put the heat on in the winter? I know these are a lot of questions, and may be difficult to answer,but I just want to get some thoughts so that I don't kill my tree, which is still fairly young.
Last edited by JoeLewko on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zombiefreak
Cool Member

I can't accuratley answer your question on the lighting. But the heater is no good, if its a vent from central heating the tree will dry out, if its an electric heater the same will happen. Humidity trays and misting might help remedy this but putting them near heaters is never really recommended.

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

well the winter is a while off so I can figure out somewhere else to put it by then.

Sharp

Is putting it outside under some sort of sheild from the rain an option? Even outside the diffused sunlight will be good for it.

Also when you move it, or have a sudden change in location they are notorious for dropping leaves. don't panic and keep the watering steady, perhaps backing off any feeding till new growth is showing.

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

I tried sheilding it from the rain, but it didnt work too well, and it seems to be more trouble than its worth. It hasnt been dropping leaves..I only noticed one leaf has gotten brown spots. It seems to be doing fine where it is, because I have been keeping track of new leaf growth, and they are growing about a quarter inch a day.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”