JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Spider Plant Bonsai

I own a spider plant, offsets. I saw a new plant on my original plant that was still pretty small, yet was developing roots. I instantly thought of making it a bonsai. I look a little online, and I saw this is not very common, although I think I can pull it off, with a root over rock style, or something along those lines. Has anyone ever tried this? If so, what dod you do, and what were you sucessful? Also, ill probably have to prune back the leaves, as they grow quite long, and I am trying to keep this one small.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Joe,

Bonsai is generally practiced on woody perennials and less commonly succulents such as Jades. Spider plants don't really seem to fit the bill. Having said that, there is an aspect to displaying bonsai that utilizes non-woody plants known as companion plants. These are usually grasses, bamboo or other small flowering plants displayed along side a finished bonsai. A small spider might make an interesting companion to another plant more commonly used as bonsai

Norm

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

the spider plant seemed appealing as something to use in bonsai, because it can develop large green roots, wich can probably be used well in a root over rock style as I mentioned before. Since I have a lot of room in ther pot of my ficus, maybe I can keep this spider plant small, and put it in the ficus pot when it has been trained( which will be a while) In the meanitme, I can experiment with this plant, maybe get something interesting going. I realized that it wouldnt be traditional at all, but I thought it was just an offset going to waste, so I should probably find somehting to do with it.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”