phil87
Newly Registered

Akadama soil?

I have a Chinese Elm, recently bought. Ive read online that trees should be repotted if you have bought them from a store, as the soil usually isnt in that great of a condition.

The tree actually came with a bag of Akadama, I'm wondering, is it okay to use 100% Akadama soil and not mix it with anything else when I re-pot?

Also, how important is it to add gravel to the bottom of the pot? Is it essential?

Many thanks.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

phil87,

Hello and welcome to the forum. I can't really offer much about Akadama having never used it myself. One thing I do know is that not all Akadama is equal. Apparently some brands/types are fired to differing levels and therefore are not equally stable. Some will break down quicker than others, particularly when subjected to freezing temperatures.
I'm wondering, is it okay to use 100% Akadama soil and not mix it with anything else when I re-pot?
So far, I have always blended various materials when creating my bonsai soil but some growers do use certain products 'neat' I'll refrain from offering an opinion on using Akadama like this for this species. I do have some Chinese Elms that are potted in a blend of Lava, Turface/Haydite, and Pine Bark. In other words, a pretty common mixture that you could find online from various sources.
Also, how important is it to add gravel to the bottom of the pot? Is it essential?
No, it is not essential, in fact there is a disadvantage to doing so. If you are using a modern, free draining, medium then a drainage layer offers no advantage but will raise what is known as the perched water table within the pot. All potted plants have this but by using a coarser material at the bottom it is merely shifted upward within the pot.
Ive read online that trees should be repotted if you have bought them from a store, as the soil usually isnt in that great of a condition.
Quite often this is correct. Can you describe the soil for us? Would you say it is dense and peaty or loose and gritty? Does the soil drain well or does water pool on the surface? If there a layer of glued on pebbles present it should be removed.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”