tomfisher

I have 2 baby junipers in the making :)

I was wondering when should I put them outside granted there about 3 week sold but one of them seems quite happy I just don't want to move them if ts not the best thing to do they are in a north westerly direction getting lots of light on the windowsill I recently bought the bonsai bible by David squire and doesn't say when the best time to put it out is =/ or when to transfer to different pot = help would be greatly appreciated :) il try and get pctures

IndorBonsai

I have a few different species of Juniper. In my experience the Juniper will grow just fine indoors Only if you give it a winter rest period. I know by your question you already know this. :)

This is what I do with my junipers it might work for you and your young junipers.

When the temperature stays around or above 50 degrees Fahrenheit I place most my trees outside.

When winter starts setting in ( nights dropping close to or below 50 degrees ) I bring most my trees back inside.

The junipers I leave outside until around thanksgiving day( temps dropping to or below 30). Then I bring them into my garage where the temps are about 20 degrees above outside temps. I let them sit in my garage for about 1 week before I move them into my house. A nice window and warmer temps bring them out of there winter rest.

When temps start staying at or above 50 degrees minimum I put them back outside.

This has worked for my junipers and might work for you.

tomfisher

yeah I do I was just wondering cos there 3 weeks old not sold XD my bad spelling XD they are a species called pinus banksiana which I hadnt heard of so ive just done more reasearch and it turns out its somthing like a jack pine XD any advice on these?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

Pines and Junipers are different species and neither is generally considered well suited to indoor culture. I started some Pines from seed about five years ago and they have never been inside, well unless you consider an unheated garage for winter quarters inside.

Pines are really a difficult subject for a new grower as there are some very specific techniques that should be understood to develop them and another set of techniques to later refine and maintain them.

As far as re-potting, I can't really offer much since we don't really know how they are currently potted.

Norm

tomfisher

they are in a normal pot and I grew them in a soil that helps promote seedlings and cuttings :) so it seems to be working because 3 weeks after planting there about one inch tall :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”