cid
Newly Registered

Bonsai Soil (do I need it? and where to get it.)

Hey,

I just got my first bonsai yesterday. It is a juniper. Before I bought it I noticed some areas were brown, I didn't worry too much about it since the brown "areas" were very small. But just to make sure I asked the lady from the local nursery (where I was about to get it) anyway, she said it was normal and showed me how all of the other junipers she was selling were also brown in some areas. But after doing some research on it I found out the soil could be causing it. My questions are Should I worry about the brown areas, if so what should I do?Do I need the bonsai soil mix, if so, which one and where should I get it?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

cid,

If the browning is in deeper areas, toward the already woody portions, then that sounds normal. As the shoots age the older portions begin to lignify or turn woody. If the brown areas are at the tips then that would indicate a problem.

To learn more about bonsai soils look here:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422

If you would rather purchase enough for one tree you can do so on-line for a modest price.

Norm

IndorBonsai

This is just FYI , the Juniper is a outdoor bonsai. I don't know why but the big chain stores sell them as indoor plants. They may live a year or so inside the house, but like all evergreen species of plant/tree, the juniper needs it's hibernation period ( winter ) to keep it alive.

Like you my juniper is looking a little sad ( turning brown in some areas ) I am sure it is probably time to change its soil and maybe go up a pot size, it has grown quite a bit since I bought it 2 years ago.

P.S. Almost forgot to awnser your question about bonsai soil, the soil you use really depends on your climate ( hot or cold, humid or dry) and your watering habits.

Like you my first bonsai was a juniper many years ago, it dried up and died. I know why it died now, because #1 I thought it was a indoor bonsai and #2 the soil it came in was not correct for my area/climate .

The Juniper is a tough lil tree and can handle quite a bit of stress, if you take care of it and do research on it you can make it grow like crazy.

cid
Newly Registered

Gnome wrote:cid,

If the browning is in deeper areas, toward the already woody portions, then that sounds normal. As the shoots age the older portions begin to lignify or turn woody. If the brown areas are at the tips then that would indicate a problem.

To learn more about bonsai soils look here:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422

If you would rather purchase enough for one tree you can do so on-line for a modest price.

Norm
Yup, the browning in my juniper is toward the already woody portions so I guess I do not have to worry about it. But should I still change the soil? The soil it came in looks like normal soil to me with pebbles on top (not glued in).

cid
Newly Registered

IndorBonsai wrote:This is just FYI , the Juniper is a outdoor bonsai. I don't know why but the big chain stores sell them as indoor plants. They may live a year or so inside the house, but like all evergreen species of plant/tree, the juniper needs it's hibernation period ( winter ) to keep it alive.

Like you my juniper is looking a little sad ( turning brown in some areas ) I am sure it is probably time to change its soil and maybe go up a pot size, it has grown quite a bit since I bought it 2 years ago.

P.S. Almost forgot to awnser your question about bonsai soil, the soil you use really depends on your climate ( hot or cold, humid or dry) and your watering habits.

Like you my first bonsai was a juniper many years ago, it dried up and died. I know why it died now, because #1 I thought it was a indoor bonsai and #2 the soil it came in was not correct for my area/climate .

The Juniper is a tough lil tree and can handle quite a bit of stress, if you take care of it and do research on it you can make it grow like crazy.
I know the Juniper is an outdoor bonsai, at first I wanted to put it inside but after doing some research on it I quickly changed my mind. Should I still change the soil? Even though the brown spots apparently aren't a problem. Like I said before the soil it came in looks normal to me but with pebbles on top which aren't glued in. I got it from a local bonsai nursery. I live in San Antonio where in the summer (right now) is very hot, (95°F-105°) but in winter it gets pretty cold (as in freezing).

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

cid,

When I got my Juniper it was a potted landscape/nursery plant that was in a soil that was similar to what you describe. I did not change the soil out the first year and the tree was fine and is still fine. In your area, (hot I presume) such a soil may offer some advantage. Not being familiar with bonsai strategies for such an environment, I am somewhat unsure. Another point to consider, it's rather late in the season for re-potting. Again your climate plays a role that I can't comment on. All in all, it would probably be safer to leave it alone this year, at least that is what I would do.

Norm

cid
Newly Registered

Ok then, I will leave it with soil it came in.

Thanks a lot for helping me out.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”