JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Ficus Bonsai Care while Away on Vacation

I am keeping my ficus outside for the summer, but I am going away for about two days. I was thinking of taking it inside, as I do not want it to get overwatered if it rains, or if the temp drop too low, I do not want it outside. Should I take it in for the two days, or leave it outside?

sheilaeliasmorgan
Newly Registered

I will have the same problem. What I found out (on another site...if I find it again, I will email it to you), is that you put a plastic bag on the pot which should go to the trunk of the tree. I think I am going to try that.

Zombiefreak
Cool Member

If either of you do this I would try to tent the plastic around your tree so that it does not touch your tree. Both of the trees you guys have are very sensitive so I wouldn't let any plastic touch the leaves or branches do not use black plastic it will cause the temperatures to increase and probably do more harm than good if black plastic is used. I might also suggest that you leave a few holes for natural air excahange and ventilation. Hope this helps.

sheilaeliasmorgan
Newly Registered

Thanks, Zombiefreak. I appreciate the input. I was not going to touch the tree at all -- instructions are just to put the plastic to the trunk of the tree -- no further, but it sounds like a very good idea to put some holes in the plastic.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”