Zootenval

Tamarind styling ideas?

Hi:

I acquired this tamarind last year, and have pretty much let it grow. I repotted 3 months ago in 100% Turface MVP. It has grown a lot, but I'm not happy with the branch placement. I love the trunk. I'm thinking about severely pruning the branches, with the hope of getting some back bud activity from the trunk. Any thoughts?

[img]https://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp25/zootenval/TamarindII05292010.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp25/zootenval/Tamarind05292010.jpg[/img]

Victrinia Ridgeway

I'm trying to figure out what you don't like about the branch placement. Clearly this is a tree which has been cultivated as bonsai... all the "important" branches are in the right spot and you already have a new leader for the apex.... so tell me what you don't like about them... Or what your inspiration style would be... because that could dictate a different direction. But from a traditional standpoint, it's heading in a very acceptable direction. (as long as one is interested in traditional styling)

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Victrinia Ridgeway

If anything... I would let them grow out uninterupted for a couple years... then cut it back... let it grow some more for a couple years.... then cut it back... etc... so you can build some taper into the branch structure.

V

Zootenval

Thanks for the suggestions. That was my first inclination, but I guess I was second guessing myself.

Victrinia Ridgeway

There are things to keep in mind when working on something like this. One is what you think you'd like your overall height to be. How tall is it vs the trunk size?

If you get an bud along the right side of the trunk halfway between the height of the soil to your first branch on the left, that would be a bonus.

Also it looks like the tree is leaning backwards...?? is that so? If it is... plan your styling aroung correcting that feature. You create a more intimate image by having the tree (apex especiallly) leaning towards the viewer... not a lot... just enough. ;)

V

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”