MirandaSdot
Newly Registered

White fluff on soil?

I have had my new Schefflera bonsai recieving indirect sunlight on a dresser. I try to leave the window open every day so that it can get a breeze and more fresh air. Recently however, for the past 2 days I've woken up to find white fluff on the soil. I can easily remove it with my finger, might it be some kind of mold?

More details:
It's been raining outdoors for the past few days so I wasn't sure if the humidity would help or hinder, so I kept the window closed. I purchased the plant not too long ago, and when I got it (3 days ago), it was dripping wet, so I haven't watered it yet.

tomfisher

I had the exact same problem but nothing bad seemed to happen so I wouldnt worry just wipe it off :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

MirandaSdot,

It sounds like the medium is very water retentive which is leading to the mold growth. Lack of air circulation inside is probably an issue as well. If you have a secure spot outside your plant would really benefit from spending the summer outside. Since it has been inside for a while, and you don't know how it was handled before you got it, be sure to choose a sheltered location at first. Filtered sun would be ideal or lacking that, morning sun then shade. After a while you can gradually transition it to a more open location.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”