Zombiefreak
Cool Member

Rootrot First Stages:Looking for opinions to remedy this.

Heres the scenario. I have recently noticed that my Japanese Juniper although about 95% heatlthy as far as foliage and branches, at the base of the tree is very easy to shift. In all fairness I do believe the tree may have already exhibited some of the symptoms when I purchased it. From the day I got it I noticed a dark spot all the way around the bottom of the trunk of the tree initially, it kind of resembled dirt but not as much so when I watered my tree it then looked to be a darkened exposed area on the trunk. Now as time has passed several weeks I established what appear to be the symptoms of rootrot. Last night I made it a point to lightly displace soil and remove soil. Until I finally came upon some roots. The roots seemed to be a darkened brown not for the dirt but almost in the shade of mildly scorched wood. These roots exhibited what seemed to be weak if not already dying qualities to me.

So now with all those things being said I would love an educated opinion on this. I need some ideas for taking immediate action because there is no alternative in my opinion. If you need more details on what the scenario entails I will be happy to try and explain further. But my biggest concern right now is taking the proper action to save my tree. I have considered air layering at the base of the tree I understand a good full developement this way can take up to three years, so that may not be the most optimal way right now. I also read on bonsai4me that you should remove all the dirt cutback and prune the dying roots and then replant the juniper in pure sphagnum moss at which time it should be left for about a year before repotting. In either case I have some work set out before me that may need to be done immediatly. But before I do any of this I want to see if the symptoms I'm describing are accurate to what I think the results are.
Syptoms:weakened tree at the base structure and small stringy brown roots that appear mildy singed by fire. Diagnosis with my educated guess rootrot first stage maybe second stage. Remedies???
Thank You anyone who responds to this I appreciate it all before hand.
Thank you Matt Zombie

Zombiefreak
Cool Member

Just as a note I recently fertilized the tree as well with some fertilizer and vitimans from dallas bonsai. The tree after fertilization has exhibited new candleing guess thats the term for juniper as well as pine? Also as a part of that, I cut the fertilization buy about a third instead of the recommend half cap full on the side of the bottle.

meesh
Cool Member

When I run into this problem with any plant, bonsai or not, I try for new roots. I remove all soil, remove all useless roots, I then roll the whole root zone of the plant in rooting hormone( the powder one), I then repot and water very carefully. Also place the plant in a shadier area. I usually can save 90% or better.

Zombiefreak
Cool Member

Thank you for the info that was one of the ways I was thinking about going about it. I was wondering would it be more effective with the rooting horomone directly in the soil or around the roots or could I break it down in water and water the soil this way as well. Those were my three contemplations for how to rectify this. I would also like to know are you regrowing your roots in bonsai potting medium, or just using regular potting soil for this. My only fear of using potting mix is that it will not drain well enough which I think might have been a contributing factor to the current situation. The soil isn't traditional potting soil but it does seem to have alot of sand and cedar? Pine bark? not sure if that was for the organic materiel he placed in it or if it was for top of soil coverage. I already have rooting horomone that I bought a few weeks back, intuition maybe told me something at that time, even though I initially bought it for cutting propagation. Thanks again for your response and continued support. The only thing I thought about when I read about the sphagnum moss things is that it might require lots of water to survive this midsummer heat I'm in and as well may contribute to the whole cycle of rootrot starting again, Just a thought.

koiboy01

Hi,
You could maybe have burnt the roots with your fertilizer if it is to strong.
Koiboy01

Zombiefreak
Cool Member

The reason I think that may not have occurred is as I stated earlier in the post is that this may have been happening since the first day I bought the tree. The weakened structure of the trunk movement also occurred preferliziation. Since I have fertilized I have gotten very good new growth on the foilage as well.My best guess is this may have been occuring when I bought the tree and I have contributed by possibly overwatering the tree. The bonsai4me sight seemed to say that junipers are very prone to rootrot. So the honest truth is I don't exactly know when it occurred. Would be nicer if I could put an exact timeline to it because then I could document it in a bonsai diary of sorts. But regardless live and learn and nothing is a better teacher than experience. Thanks you for your thoughts as well. I probably will start a bonsai diary as well especially when I finally decide how to remedy this. That way I can go back in time if I need to later if the tree dies or the tree survives. I will document it well with given dates and even pictures of the roots etc. Thanks again Koi and any and all concerned.

meesh
Cool Member

Your rooting hormone should be in contact with the roots. Mixed in the soil will do no good. And I think it would be a waste of something so expensive to mix it in water.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”