I like plants

Starting a bonsai

Hello,

I've digged out a small maple tree from the forest. It is now in a big pot. What should I do now? Let it grow and plant it in a bonsai pot? What are the chances of the bonsai dying once it is in bonsai form? Can I leave it outside all year round once it is in a bonsai pot?

Victrinia Ridgeway

What variety of maple is it?

And yes... it should always be left outside. You can bring it in for a day or two to enjoy, but no more.

Generally trees which have been collected should be left alone for at least a year or two... so don't plan on doing anything with it anytime soon. Just keep it watered.

Generally most deciduous trees are not collected at this time, but if it's been very cool where you are it will likely be fine... Try and collect deciduous trees before they break leaf or late in the fall after they have dropped leaf.

The chances of it dying are directly relative to the care you give it.

Read the comments in this thread for some good information on general bonsai horticulture....

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23461&start=0

Good luck...

Victrinia

Marsman
Green Thumb

Let's see some pictures of your new trees! :)

I like plants

I will post a pic when I have time.
My Maple tree is a normal one. I don't know more about it. Does it look nice in Bonsai form?

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

normal is not a variety. It's like asking people I have a normal dress, will it look good??? :lol:

Marsman
Green Thumb

Take a look at this: [url=https://www.buzzle.com/articles/maple-trees-maple-tree-varieties.html]Maple Trees[/url]

As you can see, there are many types of maples in the world. A picture of yours will help us ID it for you.

Victrinia Ridgeway

Well I asked because there are N. American natives which just won't reduce leaves enough to be good bonsai... If it's any kind of broad leaf variety, you're kinda stuck with what it does. Think Canadian leaf emblem... not a good species for bonsai. That's why Japanese maples are prefered... they've been cultivated to a point where they reduce really well and are somewhat small leaf varieties to begin with... hence my concern about a maple collected from the wilds of Canada... :wink:

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”