Tousabella
Newly Registered

Repotting very old Mugho Pine

I have a pine about 50-60 years old. It needs to be repotted as the dish cracked from the cold five years ago. I just hadn't repotted it as it was okay. Now, I'm ready to repot.
I am having trouble with amounts of soil..re:diamatacious soil and green sand. More sand than soil? Should I add any fine organic soil? I'm repotting to a 14X12X4" pot...similiar to the one it was in.
I could sure some info from anyone that has already done theirs.
I am in a zone 3 area and it did okay this winter with a mulch of shredded newspapers and inside a larger container, shielded from the cold winds.
Thanks.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tousabella,

I don't have a very good track record with this species so I'm perhaps not the best one to answer but I'll try. I don't think I would include any materials with very small particle size such as sand or conventional potting soil. Have you seen our thread on bonsai soils? If you read it, and follow the links, you will have a much better idea of how to proceed.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422

BTW, an experienced grower suggest re-potting this species in mid-summer. I know it goes against a lot of what you may read but he claims great success with this timing. Something about a rest period before the roots begin active growth in early fall.

Norm

Tachigi
Cool Member

If your Mugo is as old as you say it is...then you most likely have a valuable piece. So with that said you need to understand your tree very well before you do anything. I would suggest you read the below article first before attempting any work...do your research, your tree will love you for it :P

[url=https://www.bonsaivault.com/The_Ubiquitous_Mugho_Pine.html]The Ubiquitous Mugho Pine[/url]

Tousabella
Newly Registered

Hi...thank you for your input.
So far, I've come up with diatamaceous earth and green sand here. I haven't found any bonsai enthusiests in this area.
I also have read about Schultz's Water Plant soil....anyone heard or used it for bonsai's?
I have been in contact with a Surrey nursery, but I have to purchase a large amount of Akadama and sand.....very expensive. Then, the cost of shipping comes out to more than the product....so I have to stay with the diatamaceous I guess. I sure don't want to jump in to something that is 'experimental' with the age of this beautiful tree. I won't do any small wiring or pinching til at least a couple of months after repotting.
Thanks again for your info.

Victrinia Ridgeway

Seriously... you live in bonsai heaven... is it very far for you to get to the BC bonsai society meetings? I'm not sure where they meet, but you have a lot of hot stuff bonsai folk up there... especially on Vancouver... but Tak Yamaura is mainland at the very least.

We just had the PSBCA Convention up in Victoria this last fall.. that was a BLAST... we're holding it in Bremerton, WA this year... you should consider coming.. we get a LOT of Canadians at the con.

:)

Victrinia

Tousabella
Newly Registered

Thanks for the offer, Vic, but I'm about six hours north of Vancouver. That's the only place that has bonsai goodies, but the shipping up here is atrocious.
I'd love to talk to some other bonsai gardeners. That's why I signed up on this site.
Thanks, again.

Victrinia Ridgeway

Can you post a photo of your bonsai?? I'd like to see if I can be of any help...

I would not use any commercial potting soil with a bonsai tree frankly... it just holds too much water.

Also you are a bit early to be repotting it really... you should wait until summer.

I wonder if 12 x 12 x 5 box of Akadama weighs more than 20 lbs.... ?? If not... I can send you a box. Or even if it's just 20 lbs worth of akadama... then you'd have mostly akadama that you could mix with some composted fir bark and the dioto-whatever earth. :D

I have about 15 bags of pure akadama in my garage... I would be happy to share. Would you like some?

Consider it a social experiment... I've made tons of offers to send gifts to people all over the place over the years... almost no one ever takes me up on it. It's quite odd to me. lol I think they are fairly certain that there must be a catch, when there is not. 8)

My only motive is to not let you risk the tree... it is precious no doubt... and deserves the health good components can offer.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”