Zombiefreak
Cool Member

Bonsai Tools:A broad discussion of quality tools

Alright anyone out there who has purchased bonsai tools I would love to hear the feedback on the tools you aquired. There are several places I'm looking currently and I would love to have a well informed opinion before I decide to make a large purchase of tools.

Some might say start out small thats not in my nature I want to get as many tools as I can of the highest quality and best price I can afford. I plan on continuing Bonsai for the rest of my known life so expense will mostly be a one time thing. Please review any stainless tools you have but I will not be purchasing stainless as it has been proven over time that stainless does not hold as good of an edge as Carbon Steel.

So just because something says "Master" "Professional" doesn't always dictate the quality. But I think it is possible to get higher quality and very poor qualty if you don't do research. Any feed back is appreciated thanks in advance

Zombie
Last edited by Zombiefreak on Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

william

[url=https://s5.exoload.com/view.php?file=https://s5.exoload.com/uploads/606/1151517791.jpg&title=chainsaw.jpg][img]https://s5.exoload.com/uploads/606/1151517791.jpg[/img][/url]

Its all so confusing, I was sold this tool as a sensitive, precision instument purpose built for the bonsai enthusiast and I must admit , its effective though rather severe on full power.

Seriously though, I have been able to pick up pruning scissors very cheaply from my local hardware store and a sharp craft knife always helps keep the difficult to reach places in check.
Id suggest ,as with all tools, you buy what you need when you need it rather than filling up a tool box of expensive tools you may not need for years , if ever.

William

Zombiefreak
Cool Member

Well I plan on getting what I need to do almost any job. I will be buying trunk splitters,concave cutters,shears a few various,such as defoliating,and traditional, I plan on purchasing a knob cutter, soil sieves,soil scoops,root pick,rootrake,other repotting tools. I don't plan on buying Jin tools at this moment,nor grafting knives but those will be bought in the next year or so. To me this is all a convenience issue you can't get any tools where I live so then rather than paying shipping five seperate times , I will aquire make or improvise what I will need for the full length in which I plan on continuing bonsai "The rest of my life"So having a tool on hand when I need it makes sense to me because I can split that trunk that day,rather than order and wait a week for for tools then do the trunk splitting. I don't know it makes sense to me.

william

horses for courses I suppose, but the idea of taking time to consider and to develop an idea over weeks , months even years is what bonsai is all about too some of us. you conjure up apicture of the express bonsai technician, you sound in a bit of a rush to get on , I hopeyou don't mind my observations.
Many people have developed and manufactured tools for specific tasks as and when they are needed and for some that is a large important part of bonsai

William

koiboy01

Hi,
Just because you have a big bag of super duper tools dosn't mean you can develop super duper bonsai ,bonsai is a learning curve that takes years and all you need to start with is the basic tools ie scissors, concave cutters wire cutters and of course wire.
koiboy01

Zombiefreak
Cool Member

Both of your points are good and I appreciate and agree with the both of you. If you read my previous posts you will understand that I know this all takes lots,lots,lots,and lots of time. As I stated it is a convenience to have all those tools on hand. Yes I'm am mildly impatient but not in a rush. But because I am impatient I will be working my way through several projects all at the same time. While I'm currently reading a ton of books, and trust I'm comprehending not just reading. I would love to try things like air layering and working on planting seedlings, propagating from cuttings, these are all aspects of experimentation. I don't expect perfect results but experience through trial and error has always been a solid way of learning. I have one bonsai and one nursery stock I'm working on. My Bonsai is the most important of the two and I intend to experiment so that when it comes time for making creative judments with my Bonsai I will have a well informed view . An artist doesn't create a masterpiece painting the first time he paints. The artist paints vast amounts of things and practices his technique so then when he decides to create a masterwork he has all the knowledge and skill needed to excute exactly what he wants to do.

Beside mostly this post was about learning of qualities of tools
and to see how people were faring with the tools they have aquired.
We are not only artist, we are surgeons and horticulturalists as well.
More of a tool review such as well informed opinions about masakuni and J. Roth, and other well manfactured tools. I don't plan on buying probably either of those two guys tools. So I am seeking info on other companys manufacturers etc etc. Thanks again for your replys gents

william

when you are able to finnally get your tool box together it would of course be interesting if you posted a list of the items you choose and why, this will help others contemplating new equipment.

Sorry I didnt mean to criticise of appear negative towards your post.

William

koiboy01

Hi zombie,
Click on this link to see some of my bonsai's I think you might be interested in the escalonia.
https://koi-z-are-us.20m.com/bonsai.htm

koiboy01

bonsai addict

koiboy I loved the progression pics of the escalonia and you have a beutiful backyard if thats what it is

Zombiefreak
Cool Member

koiboy01 wrote:Hi zombie,
Click on this link to see some of my bonsai's I think you might be interested in the escalonia.
https://koi-z-are-us.20m.com/bonsai.htm

koiboy01
Wonderfull theres not much I can say besides awesome and this would appropriatly be called a zombie tree. It wonderfull the things a man can manipulate to emulate both art and nature.

meesh
Cool Member

All my tools have been purchased from Joshua Roth. I have not had any problems and have no complaints. I use scissors, root hook and of course wire the most.

Zombiefreak
Cool Member

Well I decided to rehash this topic and discuss a few tools I have aquired over several months. I have a root rake for repotting stainless. I purchased soil sieves for the very same reason. I purchased a spherical concave cutter so that I could do some brach clean up on my Bonsai and the nursery stock I have in training. I already had some nice stainless steel tweezers that I now use exclusively for Bonsai. If you want brand names the only thing I have with a brand on it is my cutters they are fujiyama. Not sure about the rake or sieves brand isn't really as impotant as quality and function. I also have chopsticks which are inexpensive and another good tool to have for repotting . I also have a nice pair of pruning shears purchased from Loews. I use drywall joint mesh for my drainage screen . I also purchased several feet of 16 gauge copper wire from a local hardware store. I have also aquired training pots for nursery stock. I bought them in bulk when I only needed one it was more economical that way. I also purchased a small plant sprayer at my work it does and good job for misting super fine. I got an inexpensive wire cutter from the hardware store as well, which I will replace in the future when the need arises. With all of these items I have roughly spent about 83.00 dollars or so getting this stuff together more than I would have liked but most of the items I will only have to purchase once. Just as a friendly reminder be sure to clean all of your tools good after each usage. This will prevent the spread of disease to your other trees and will prolong the life and quality of your tools. I also make it a point to put a light coat of oil on the concave cutters,and wire cutters.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”