derkap10
Cool Member

Moss?

Hi Y'all,

I don't know if I want to actually do a poll but I was wondering...... moss on the top of the soil in the bonsai pot. I had kind of thought that some moss on top of the soil was almost de riguer for bonsai. Is that wrong? I can see where if you're wanting to simulate a mountain scene or some such that you may not want to but I really like a moss covering over my soil. I've got plenty of moss in the shaded areas of my back yard so it's no big thing for me to gather some. Gotten almost expert at scraping off a very thin layer to cover the soil in my pots. Even on my 'pre-bonsais' I like to put a thin covering of peat on top of the soil and then moss on top of that. I think having a layer of green under the tree gives a more 'natural' look. But I've read a few things that say that this can interfere with the trees ability to 'breathe'. Yes? No? I like the moss but don't want to harm my trees because I think it looks better. Thoughts? Thanks,

Mossy Boy

Marsman
Green Thumb

I'm not too sure you want to put that thin layer of peat over bonsa soil. The fine mixture of peat will clog up the open bonsai soil an prevent air flow. Some moss is OK, but a full cover is too much and goes against 'traditional' bonsai styling. I'll see if I can Google the reference I'm thinking of, but I believe it said the moss can only touch 2 or 3 sides of the pot.

Tachigi
Cool Member

The right type of moss is a wonderful thing in a bonsai pot in moderation.

You want "sun" moss when ever possible. If you use shade moss it will die off rather quickly when exposed to sun for a prolonged period of time...though early spring, winter, and late fall it will thrive.

Don't cover the entire surface of the soil, unless your doing it for a show or some other type of venue. Moss when used in moderation will give a visual benefit as well as a horticultural benefit. Moss distributed close to the trunk will help retain moisture...a biggie if you use inorganic soil. Also by leaving a bare perimeter between moss edge and pot you can effectively fertilize and let the soil "breath".

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”