wayne barnier

Black Olive Bonsai Problems!!!

Hello everyone, I have some more questions regarding bonsai's!This time it happens to be my Black Olive!I have had the tree for about 7-9 months and about 8-12 leaves are turning a reddish color and they pop off with the slightest touch!I live in Michigan where the last 2-3 weeks I have been putting it outdoors for more light!I have been lighting my bonsai's with a floresent lighting fixture and the black olive seemed to be doing fine until now??I don't know if its a watering issue(To much or not enough?)is it a leaf burn?The leafs are a bright reddish brown color!Does anyone know about Black olives?And is this normal?Any suggestions would be great!!!Thanks, Wayne P.S Also during the indoor season the tree seemed to hold its own it did not grow new foliage but it did not loose very much either!!!I plan to keep it outdoors from here on out to fall when temps start dropping than bring in for warmth and lighting!!! THANKS AGAIN!!!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

wayne,

When you say Black Olive I take it you mean [url=https://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/bucida.html]Budicia spinosa.[/url] This is a tropical plant that I did not have any luck with here in PA. I killed mine in short order as did a few other members who were attempting to grow them in a less than tropical environment.
I have been putting it outdoors for more light!I have been lighting my bonsai's with a floresent lighting fixture and the black olive seemed to be doing fine until now??I don't know if its a watering issue(To much or not enough?)is it a leaf burn?
I suspect it is still too cool for this species to be outside in your area, especially at night.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”