dana_banana
Newly Registered

incredibly brittle juniper... :(

Aww... after reading some of the other comments, I'm thinking I may not have any hope for my juniper bonsai. I got it for Christmas last year and it was doing fine until I went away... and left it with friends... yikes! I don't doubt that they watered it regularly but I'm also not sure why it is extremly dry and loosing all it's foliage. It looks very brown as well. It's making me really worried acutally. I don't know very much at all, anything you could tell me would be helpful. I also live in Canada, and we've already had our first snow fall. I live in an apartment, no balcony, but I have a drafty bathroom. Can you give me approximate temperatures in Celcius, I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to farenheit temperatures. I'm also looking for a new bonsai to grow myself and call my own, can you recomend a flowering species which is better indoors. I have a book but it's very general, are there any books which talk about caring for each species or type. Thank you for all your help, I need it!!
Shalom,
Dana

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey Dana,

Yeah, you DO know what the problem is or you wouldn't have started the thread that way, and you DO know what the problem was because you said "I don't doubt that they watered it regularly but I'm also not sure why it is extremly dry and loosing all it's foliage." Umm... what else to say?

As for a flowering indoor type I've always liked serissas, but they are a good deal more tempermental than junipers or ficus, my usual suggestion for indoor enthusiasts just starting out. Other good flowering types for indoor are bougainvillea and brush cherry (Eugenia, I think...). SOme of the azaleas would respond to juniper type treatment; that drafty bathroom may be of some use after all... :lol:

Scott

dana_banana
Newly Registered

So now that I'm starting from scratch where do I start? I know I can get seeds online, but is that the best thing to do or should I get an untrained sapling and go that route, I have a book, but it mentions nothing about seeds... Do you have any advice or tips on starting from seed? Do I start it in a bonsai pot? I have grown many things from seed before but I fear trees are a completely different matter all together. Do you know of any good books or websites that could handle this for me? I realize it's a big question with lots of different answers. Awesome, thanks, and what should I do about the old one, keep in in the drafty bathroom and see if it picks up, or is it too late? Oh, do you know of any bonsai clubs in Calgary Alberta, I'm having trouble finding any on the net. Ok, I'll leave you alone now!! Thanks for everything.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey Dana,

You COULD keep that juniper and see what transpires (or expires) :cry: ,
but I think it's a goner.

Raising from seed is an option; some masters say it's the only way to get a perfect tree. I have never done one from seed (still have one from cuttings two decades ago...) and am usually content to prune and wire pre-bonsai or nursery stock (usually the best (cheapest) bet...

You can start them in a pot, but I usually start them in regular containers (or deep bonsai pots) to let the roots stretch while I begin shaping. You can pick a container in a year or three when it's ready to take the stress.

Can't say I know any clubs personally in that area, but I'd be suprised if there wasn't one. Here's a link that should help you find one...

[url]https://www.bonsai-bci.com/[/url]

This is the international ruling organization for shows and virtually every club registers with themm so this should help... :wink:

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”