brenraven

When is a good time to start shaping my prospective bonsai?

From scanning the forum (boy there are alot of posts!) I have found that any woody stemmed plant will do for a bonsai although it would be nice to know for sure (hopefully someone will answer my "Ivy" post).

In the meantime, when is a good time to start shaping my prospective bonsai? My ivy is approx. four inches high, I have been cutting back leaves and leaders for about a year now but it is still in just a regular pot. Should I repot it as a bonsai before shaping?

Please help! :(

koiboy01

hi,
seeing that you are still looking for an answer, I would never try to bonsai an Ivy, one reason is that they are prolific growers and to be honest I just don't like Ivy's I think of them more as weeds,
Koiboy01

bonsai addict

I've seen a mame ivy bonsai over rock and it was very effective.who knows maybe theres a perfect rock out there for it to climb onworth a shot

brenraven

Thanks for the insight about the rock, I think this ivy has potential so I'll give it a go.

What about shaping, should I pot it as a bonsai first or just start where it is? I'm pretty new to this and I would like to start from scratch with a tropical because living in Northern Ontario in Canada, winters are pretty harsh. :D

brenraven

Another question, is it possible to use two styles when forming your bonsai. I was thinking I would like to do a Sekijoju (roots over a rock) as well as Fukinagashi (windswept). Would that be an 'acceptable' bonsai :?:

bonsai addict

combining styles is ok if you want to doit although I don't know how windswept ivy is going to like sounds like a lot of wireing.but as far as breaking rules it seems to me there are to kinds of rules in bonsai horticultural and artistic.I personally try to follow the horticultural to a t.but the bonsai police arent going to arrest you If you break some rules

brenraven

LOL, thanks bonsai addict! My ivy is already sort of looking windswept as it's light source is off to one side and it is growing towards it so I won't have to worry about too much wirering for that. I'll try to get a pic up soon.

When would be a good time to re-pot it bonsai style?

bonsai addict

I think right after it comes out of dormancy before the buds open but youll want a second opinion on that one Ive read many contradicting bonsai books and they all have their opinion

brenraven

:? I thought my ivy was more of a tropical type as it's a house plant. Do I still need to give it a dormant period? :?:

bonsai addict

didnt realise it was a house plant actually most tropicals go semi dormant in the winter I think but I havent killed a house plant by repotting it at the wrong time

brenraven

Thanks, I think I'll wait til the spring. It sits near an east facing window and the growth on the plants there usually slows during the winter. Patience right! :D

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”