Rydemaster33
Newly Registered

My Ficus is Dying!

I have a ficus that I've had for about 3 or 4 months, and it had been doing really well, growing a lot of new leaves and lengthening branches. The other day a few leaves started to get more pale, and now there are many turning yellow with brown spots and falling off. It's more and more leaves every time I check on it, is this normal? Or is there something I can do to save my tree?

JTred
Green Thumb

Have you moved it recently or let it get exposed to cold air? This is one of the most common problems with ficus and is really the only aspect in which it is finicky.

KasWear
Cool Member

Mines outside in the cold air, I wonder if that's an issue I should tackle .. ie bring it back in !!

JTred
Green Thumb

The weather here in the east is kind of iffy. Normally ficus will be ok a few nights below fifty or forty, but (at least in western PA) this spring has been unusually cold. I was planning on putting my ficus outside when I got home this Friday, but I'm considering waiting until it warms up a bit. What are the daily highs and lows in your area?

KasWear
Cool Member

temps for me are between 2 c and 17 c but mainly over the last week around 8 c .. ??

ta ...

Kas

pfeld1st
Newly Registered

I am sorry to say this, I think that I killed my 10+ year old ficus plant.
Its not Bonsai but an indoor tree like plant at about 5 feet tall.
I will send pix next time.

It dropped all of its leaves during the winter (here in Boston) but I did see new growth during the spring.

Then I did the wrong thing, I cut it in 1/2 to about 2 feet and now all that I have is a trunk with two sad looking stumps.

I'd like to find a way to recover this but have not found any, anything to cut slits or to make new branches grow.

I know that its alive because it oozed the white latex as described in other articles.

Its outside now, I did fertilize it once.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

The weather this spring is definitely not stable enough for it. I'm in NJ and we had some 40 degree temperature swings in the past few weeks. On colder nights I definitely bring my ficus bonsai inside.

Try to rescue yours by placing it next to a window that gets good light. prune off some dead branches and leaves but leave the good once alone. Check the soil, you may need to repot it, with any luck growth can come back.

don't give up on it. A few years ago by ficus bonsai dropped all of the leaves due to cold spell but a few weeks later, it grew back all the leaves as long as you provide it with stable, light, temperature and moisture.
Rydemaster33 wrote:I have a ficus that I've had for about 3 or 4 months, and it had been doing really well, growing a lot of new leaves and lengthening branches. The other day a few leaves started to get more pale, and now there are many turning yellow with brown spots and falling off. It's more and more leaves every time I check on it, is this normal? Or is there something I can do to save my tree?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”