bonsai101
Newly Registered

Bonsai Growth Question.

Hello fellow Bonsai addicts! :lol:

I have just added a chinese elm to my small bonsai collection it looks stunning for its age (only 6 years) and has a lot of potential, however the only prob is it is a bit small. I heard on the net that size all depends on the pot size i.e the bigger the pot the bigger the tree... is this true or is their other ways of making a bonsai bigger.

Thanks in advance
Josh. :D

bonsai addict

ive read from many sources that the fastest way for growth is plant it in the ground (as long as its hardy for your area)I know it sucks but another alternative would be to overpot giving the roots plenty of room to stretch out.the hardest thing for me to cope with as a beginer is that our cherished tiny pots are one of the last steps in bonsai. but if it fits in a small pot and looks good why not .so if you want it big let it grow unrestrained if not pot it up

bonsai101
Newly Registered

Yeah,
I think i agree with you on the caring for my bonsai bit my mind is almost always occupied with the thought of caringfor and imrpoving my bonsai but then again i want to gain more knowledge about bonsai so i reckon i will try planting it outside to see if anything happens...I will let you know!
Cheers, Bonsai Addict
Josh 8)

bonsai addict

thank you bonsai 101for saying that I started typing something along the same lines in a new topic earlier but got distracted.but also wanted to let you know that I just read that over potting promoting growth is a myth. in fact Iv'e read tons of great stuff on bonsai4me.com and tons of great pics
(THIS IS NOT AN AD) just a friendly suggestion to a fellow bonsaier

Gnome
Mod

Bonsai101

A small tree that is already styled maybe better off enjoyed as is. If you are going to redesign this tree be prepared for a process that will take several years. If this is acceptable to you the only way to increase size is to encourage growth and to allow the passage of time.

If the tree in question will survive your climate then by all means put it in the garden. Be aware however that it will probably take at least one season to become established so don't put it out if you are not prepared to leave it for at least 3 years.

Another poosibility is to overpot it slightly, if you get too carried away with overpotting a large quantity of soil in the pot will remain waterlogged.

Either way you will have to have to develop a plan to increase your trunks girth, taper and height, and finally regrow all your branches several years down the road as the ones you have now will probaly be out of scale by then.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”