PrarieHey
Newly Registered

Bonsai Soil Mixture for a Juniper.

Just getting started in the bonsai hobby. Looking for a good beginners soil recipe for a Juniper. Would prefer to make/mix my own. Any appropriate store bought soil? HELP!!! :D

TomM
Greener Thumb

With juniper being an 'outdoor' tree this posting should be over in the general bonsai forum - not indoor bonsai forum. Over there it will get more notice from the 'outdoor' enthusiasts.

Norm can delete me after the move - and provide a wealth of info.
Tom

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

PrarieHey,

Tom is correct that Junipers are one of the least appropriate trees to try to grow indoors. If your intention is to grow indoors then you need to look to tropical species, not temperate ones.

But to answer your question, I grow mine is a relatively lean (low on the organic side) mixture consisting primarily Lava rock and Haydite. I do include some bark to hold a little moisture and nutrients.

Have a look at [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422]this thread[/url] for basic information. In the short term it may be easier to simply purchase enough for your immediate needs. Our member [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=20031]Tachigi[/url] offers components and ready made mixes for sale. If you don't see what you need PM him and I'm sure he will assist you.

Norm

PrarieHey
Newly Registered

TomM wrote:With juniper being an 'outdoor' tree this posting should be over in the general bonsai forum - not indoor bonsai forum. Over there it will get more notice from the 'outdoor' enthusiasts.

Norm can delete me after the move - and provide a wealth of info.
Tom
Thanks Tom. Very good idea. Like I said, Very new at this hobby.

David

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”