fallnroc

My Junaper is dying why

I'm back and it don't look like I've got a green thumb yet. I've watered my tree twice a week and had it outside in direct sun. Now it only got sun for 3 or 4 hours a day of derict sun but good light all day. I have trimed all the dead folage from the tree. I'm now trying to put it in the morning sun then take it out in the front of my condo for afternoon sun and keeping it wet by watering it every other day. I've trimed so much folage off it that theres not much of it left. the green keeps turning broun and dry and even some of the green is brittle. What can I do? :(

KasWear
Cool Member

Have you got wooden stiks in the pot as allow correct watering, my tree has brown leaves, that's down to adjusting to being used to the sun I beleive .. :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

fallnroc,

Sorry to read about your Juniper.
I've watered my tree twice a week and had it outside in direct sun.
Watering on a schedule is never a good idea. Check your trees daily and water as required. In your climate you may not have watered it frequently enough.

Did you by any chance keep it inside when you first got it? Regardless, once a Juniper get to this level of distress the likelihood of a recovery is not good. Have you considered a Ficus? They are pretty tough and like warm weather.

Norm

fallnroc

no it has been outside . I was told it wasn't to be kept inside here on the forum. So I left it outon my padio. I have started watering it every other day now puting my finger in the soil to check for dampness. I'm not alowing it to get the least bit dry. Plus I'm transporting it to the balcony out front so it is getting more sun in the afternoon. I don't know if I want to try any other tree no sence in killing a nother tree that has lived for 8 years just to dye in my care in afew months. I'm very depressed about this whole thing.

Tachigi
Cool Member

Don't be depressed....everyone, including big name bonsai artists have killed trees. Its part of paying your dues in this hobby/art. Consider it as part of the learning curve. You have bit more knowledge, next time around you will know more than you do now.

I think you should stay with Junipers. You have some knowledge as to what it requires and that improves your odds if you keep those lessons learned up front in your mind.

You might consider going to your local nursery and doing a "CRAWL" for a good piece of juni material...can be lots of fun and very rewarding. This material has been acclimated to your area so that part of its stress has been taken care of for you. Now is a good time for repotting...just do your homework to know what you need to do to safely repot a Juni.

Good luck..and have fun

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”