Marsman
Green Thumb

Rooting a Larch Cutting

[I posted this on another site a couple of days ago, but recieved no feedback.)

I love larch and have found an area with dozens of larch growing, but I haven't found anything small enough to dig up.

My question, is it possible to root a branch cutting?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Marsman,

Sorry, I can't answer your question directly as I have never tried this species but [url=https://www.amazon.com/Reference-Manual-Woody-Plant-Propagation/dp/1604690046/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273177370&sr=1-1]Dirr & Heuser[/url] are not optimistic.
"Doubtful cuttings will ever become significant for the propagation of the Larches."
They do mention grafting, but that presupposes that you already have understock available, presumably seedlings. No mention was made of layering in the book, leaving seedlings as the obvious choice for the propagator.

Perhaps you can explore the area more thoroughly in the hopes of finding a collectible specimen.

Norm

Marsman
Green Thumb

Jackpot! :D

I was poking around in the woods near my home and found a stand of larch. Now, I've been told that larch give off some kind of hormone or chemical (redundant?) that keeps seedling from sprouting under them. Well, these were very tall, mature trees and I found a 2.5 foot beautifully healthy larch growing under them. Here's my plan. I'm going to take a shovel and dig a 1 foot radial circle around the tree and then leave it alone till next Spring. My teacher calls this "Nursery Pruning". Then, next Spring, before it buds out, I will go and dig it up and stick it back in the ground in my yard to fatten up.

I'm so happy I could . . . Well, I'm very happy. :P

JTred
Green Thumb

Marsman wrote:Jackpot! :D

I'm going to take a shovel and dig a 1 foot radial circle around the tree and then leave it alone till next Spring. My teacher calls this "Nursery Pruning". Then, next Spring, before it buds out, I will go and dig it up and stick it back in the ground in my yard to fatten up.
I think I may have heard somewhere that when you do this you can fill in the trench with sand. I'm not sure if it works because I've never done it, but it would at least keep the trench from filling back in after a year of rain.

Marsman
Green Thumb

I just want to cut larger spreading roots so that they will back fill (back bud?) in the ground without being disturbed. And, I'm not sure I could get sand back to where this tree is. Let me ruminate on this idea and see what I can come up with.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Mars, Larch is the tree got me into bonsai 7 years ago. We have some nearby and a curiosity drew me to them. I knew nothing of 'deciduous conifers' and was really puzzled,and delighted, with November's golden hue and then the shedding of the needles. And then I dug up a few, yes in November, brought them home. I potted them up and placed them in a cold basement, read all winter long, and a passion for bonsai was born.

Over time I have collected a dozen or so small (from 6 in. to 20 in.) ones but 3 years ago I took a gamble and dug up a 6 footer during a collecting trip with two other club members. Since planting it into the garden, and chopping it down to about 45 in., I have twice "trenched" a circle around the trunk to keep the lateral roots in check. I plan to do the same again this year and then dig it up and put it into a training pot or grow box next Mar/early April.

BTW - I didn't back fill the trench with sand but left the V open as air space so that any new root growth would stop, or die-back at that point. Over time the gap does fill back in - then I go back and, with a sharp spade, cut again. The tree seems quite happy. Me too.

:)

Marsman
Green Thumb

Thanks for your input, Tom. I've very excited about this little tree and I plan on doing just as you did. Let it grow and chop it back. It's raining today, or I'd go trench it and take some pictures as well. Have to document these things for my web page.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Here's the larch I found. I've 'nursery pruned' it by digging around it with a shovel. Next Spring, before it buds out, I'll did it up. I know it's just a stick now, but in 10 years...

[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Church%20Hemlock/DSC_0033.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Marsman on Wed May 12, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomM
Greener Thumb

:o Mars - I don't believe your tree is a larch. Perhaps a fir or hemlock (?) but not larch. Yours is evergreen - larch is deciduous. I hope someone can help ID this tree for you so that you will know how best to care for it. Hemlocks prefer shade while the others need sun.

I will check Nick Lenz's book, BONSAI FROM THE WILD, this evening to see if it helps.

In Spring the larch needles burst out in tiny tufts, soft circular little green balls. Then they grow out - elongate to lengths that hang gracefully into Sep-Oct. In November all the soft needles turn to a tawny golden blaze of Fall color then drop off. The larch tree is bare all winter. Yes a deciduous conifer tree !!!
Tom

TomM
Greener Thumb

If you have Nick's book see the Eastern hemlock pictured on page 171 - this may be your tree. Read on the previous page that "Hemlock should be grown in shade or semi-shade. In full sun, the branches pull up uncontrollably, making wiring irrelevant. In shade, they spread out gracefully with finer needles and droop."

The section on larch, pages 24-49 will show you much about this wonderful - underused, and misunderstood tree.

I think you have a hemlock - but still not sure of it. Anyone else?

Marsman
Green Thumb

Well, I'm embarassed. But thankful to know what I've got. Yes, I have Nick's book and will check it out. I'm going to a workshop at Nick's place on Saturday (5/22) and will talk to him about the tree, and have him sign my copy of his book.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Nick signed my book "Alberta spruce is like a goose in a marsh. GROW LARCH !!, Nick"
Enjoy your experience.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Nick Lenz, Bonsai from the Wild, p. 170 wrote:Just as rare as a worthwhile field juniper is a hemlock of small size, tapered trunk, and mature bark. They just do not come that way.
Well, this specimen is in the shade, so the limbs should droop well. I may leave it alone for a few years, or chop it and leave it be. It's in a protected area that won't be bothered.

[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Church%20Hemlock/DSC_0032.jpg[/img]

I'll continue my search for the elusive wild larch. Sure, I can buy a larch at one of the local nurseries. I've looked at them and they are nice. My teacher has a bunch of them in his garden for sale. But I want a wild one!

Sounds like a Monty Python skit, "The Taming of the Larch!"

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Marsman,
Sounds like a Monty Python skit, "The Taming of the Larch!"
NO.1 the Larch

(Click picture.)
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRKVXG3DV-I][img]https://artofbonsai.org/galleries/images/lenz/demon_larch_3.jpg[/img][/url]

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”