tomfisher

my azalea

hey guys my azalea has just started to bloom well kinda because only two buds have started to open and none of the others look like there gonna change is this a problem or should I wait and see?

Marsman
Green Thumb

It's been a weird season. Give it some time. I have 3 thriving azaleas and one just sitting there. It's alive, but taking it's time.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

My azalea was dying, no matter what I did. I had it with the plants that were hardening off.

So, I moved it closer to the fence in more shade, it is still in the original pot, so very moveable, until I find a location that it likes. And next to the fence, the leaves look alot better.

Does this mean azaleas don't like direct sun?

moulman
Cool Member

Does this mean azaleas don't like direct sun?

Azaleas prefer dappled sun/ partial shade. They dislike direct harsh sunlight. It is important also to keep them out of hot sun in order to keep their roots cool ( as they prefer) as pots heat up quickly in direct sun.

Marsman
Green Thumb

moulman wrote:Does this mean azaleas don't like direct sun?

Azaleas prefer dappled sun/ partial shade. They dislike direct harsh sunlight. It is important also to keep them out of hot sun in order to keep their roots cool ( as they prefer) as pots heat up quickly in direct sun.
Oh... :shock:

/note to self, move potted azalea.

Tachigi
Cool Member

Here is the kicker with azaleas in dappled sunlight.... lace fly. That black sooty looking residue on the azalea leaf is actually a critter. The recommend method to get rid of them is to keep azaleas in full sun...go figure :?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

Lacewing has been a problem for me with Azaleas for several years now. I have, far, for whatever reason, always managed to kill my Azaleas. I have hard water and the lacewing does not help. :(

Right now I have one very young plant that I keep in a spot that gets full sun early but later as (Walnut) trees leaf out, becomes progressively shaded. It seems to be doing well, for now, but I'm on the verge of giving up on them as bonsai.

Norm

tomfisher

well ive got got two buds just opening up and one flower it just looks realy odd because none of the others look like there gonna move XD

moulman
Cool Member

Tom,

I don't really have that problem here, as this area is pretty dry in the spring/summer. But I guess the midwest and east would be a different story. There are a lot of critters you guys have to deal with that we don't here in the west. :P

Our humidity levels hover around 10% in the summer, dry and hot.

tomfisher

does anyone have any pics of there blooming trees?

moulman
Cool Member

I pick all mine, as they are in 'growing mode' right now.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Yeah, same here. I nipped all the buds off mine, to put the strength into growing.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”