LittleGemini
Newly Registered

Dying Juniper Bonsai needs help!!!

Hi,

My parents got my boyfriend a Juniper Bonsai in February this year as a gift. Well, neither he nor I knew how to care for it so we both have been watering and feeding it without much communication. Sometimes it would get watered 2-3 times a day. Other times it wouldn't get watered for days/weeks. With it being his tree and me being the only person I know who could kill bamboo, I haven't really payed it much attention until I noticed that the leaves all started turning yellow. Apparently, both of us have been feeding it too much plant food! I tried flushing the roots with cool, fresh water in hopes that I could rinse away the excess Miracle Grow Plant Food and then I repotted it in new soil (no plant food). I thought I started to see a bit of green in it last night, but I awoke to a comepletely yellowed tree! Is there any hope?? If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them!

Zombiefreak
Cool Member

I have a Japanese Juniper as well. First My advice is to look up japanese or other similar juniper care. Then determine if your tree is getting enough sunlight or over exposure to sunlight. My personal experience with my japanese junper is that it should get direct sun only for about 3-4 hours per day maximum of six hours but I wouldn't risk that long. The continuos watering may have led to over watering and root rot or whats known as "wet Feet". All bonsai should be given care have attention payed daily. In addition too Japanese juniper thrive well with humidity. You could bootleg a humdity tray making sure that the bottom of you pot isn't touching the water "root rot' may occur again if the tree is overwatered in that manner which it would take in the water from the drainage holes. I would make it a point to check for parasites in your tree and soil as well. There really are a ton of factors to bonsai but the most basic of care and general maintenance will keep you for the most part from ever having to deal with these situations. The unfortunate part of the symptoms you are describing are that the tree is dying. Unsaveable? I'm not sure. posting pictures as well might help others to help determine if your tree is a lost cause. And for the sake of your bonsai please make sure you are keeping your juniper outside. natural conditions are what junipers thrive in best. As well make sure your not baking the roots by having your tree on a surface that get extremly or even mildly hot. Junipers belong outside. I hope this info may be of some use either to you now or in the future. Anyways best of luck and I hope your tree survives, Niothing is impossible sometimes just highly improbable.

LittleGemini
Newly Registered

We've been keeping it indoors mostly due to the high heat here in Central Florida (USA). When I started doing some research into it (admittedly, only a couple of days ago) and found it likes being outside, I put it outside at night & the first few hours of morning... keep in mind, it gets to be 98+ degrees fahrenheit by 10:00 am here and stays that hot until well after sunset.

I read about the spider mites and checked for them. Thankfully, that is not the issue. I am afraid it may be root rot... all I can do at this point is hope the pot dries out the roots and it survives...

I've heard that if the roots aren't taking in nutrients, you can spray the leaves with Carbonated water and it sometimes helps... Do you know if there is any truth in this?

Thank you for your help!
:)

Zombiefreak
Cool Member

I understand about the heat but the tree just has to stay outside, remember the second part of bonsai is tree. I'm not trying to be a jerk here but I'm suprised your tree has lasted since february. Simply find something that fits the basic guidelines I gave earlier for outdoor placement if needed create a shaded area by draping fabric somehow? to maintain a good ratio of sunlight to indirect sunlight. The carbonated water ? Never heard this but if you think about it from the standpoint of plants take in co'2 like we take in air its possible I guess, because the plant would have direct contact with the carbon dioxide present in the water. If you try this I would recommend finding plain carbonated water with no additives if possible. Don't use sprite or anything like that, I know I'm probably stating the obvious but better safe than sorry. Sorry that I don't know more about doing the soda thing but it might work. If I were in your postion I would try about anything I thought might work, just remember though soda is kinda acidic :?: As well remebe patience is a virtue and most things being fixed probably won't happen over night like the yellowing that occurred

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”