ejc3
Newly Registered

Help needed for bonsai beginner

I recieved a chinese elm as a special gift this year and I love it very dearly, I have done much research on it and spend a great deal of time looking after my indoor tree, but unfortunately it's not very well.

I've been following the instructions that came with it and at first it flourished but now, many of the leaves are turning yellow, many with green spots and brown crisp patches, and then falling off. I still have many leaves left on the tree and there is still new areas of growth, but the rate at which they are falling off is speeding up and I'm very concerned that it is going to die :( .

Does anyone have any advice as to what may be wrong with my elm?

I have it in an area of plenty of light, and to water I mix the stated amount of bonsai food with water and allow my tree to stand in this for around 10mins so that the soil is completedly covered.

If anyone has any tips for me on how to rescue my bonsai then I would be most greatful,

Many thanks,

Emma Bonsai
England

Tachigi
Cool Member

Emma,

Contrary to what you may read or be told. There is no tree that is a "indoor tree". While Chinese elm have been kept for extended periods of time indoors, they always end up outside at some point or another. It might be added that those extended indoor bonsai are pampered with light and humidity almost to a fault.

My guess is that your elm is rebelling and desires to be placed outside. Start in a semi shaded area so the leaves don't get sun burned as they have built up no UV tolerance. As new growth emerges gradually move it in to more sunlight.

Clean the dead leaves off...yes even the yellow ones as they are no longer photosynthesizing. Do this carefully as not to disturb any advantageous buds at the base of the stem.

Good luck

tomfisher

I had the exact same problem when I got mine

firstly the leaves go yellow if you over water them so just lighten up a lil on the watering but mist them everyday :)

and when it comes to the browning and crisping it may be too arm where it is or it may be over exposed to light were is your tree? and have you got pictures?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”