Jalopy19
Cool Member

A few projects with photos.

Here are a few of my trees. All are early in development

This first one is a "Hercules" Bittersweet. I recently wired it. I bought it last fall with no leaves. It has come back pretty well after re-potting. Any thoughts?

[img]https://lh5.ggpht.com/_3fchepaDtTU/S9e1C3bK7eI/AAAAAAAAAxY/RlN7LMsOowY/s512/IMG_0274.JPG[/img]

This next one's a mugo pine that suffered an unfortunate issue. My cold frame was left closed for some warm days this spring which baked it. I was pleased to see when it started candling reticently so I think it will be alright.

[img]https://lh6.ggpht.com/_3fchepaDtTU/S9e1CfxRG3I/AAAAAAAAAxU/1PdBcYAb_Cs/s640/IMG_0273.JPG[/img]

This next one I started yesterday. The tray was from Lowes (with holes drilled for drainage). I am hoping I won't be punished for my impatience. I feel I probably should have waited until they were finished flowering. The trees are cotoneaster "Coral Beauty" purchased for $2.75 each in 0.75 gallon pots. I bare-rooted them, soaked them in 1tsp per gallon SuperThrive, and planted them in a mixture of Fujiama (Dallas Bonsai Garden) soil mixed with sifted diatomaceous earth (NAPA oil cleaner granules). Thoughts?

[img]https://lh4.ggpht.com/_3fchepaDtTU/S9g4Kiu1qlI/AAAAAAAAAy0/2vImrvDTYE8/s640/IMG_0312.JPG[/img]
Last edited by Jalopy19 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jalopy19
Cool Member

Here are a few more:

A Prunus X Cistena "Purple Leaf Sand Cherry". This one I started last year. I know it's not potted in the correct orientation, but I'm just going to let it grow this spring. These baskets have an off brand broken up tree spike in them.

[img]https://lh3.ggpht.com/_3fchepaDtTU/S9e1H8WwDWI/AAAAAAAAAx8/WG6IO8MIsc0/s512/IMG_0301.JPG[/img]

Here's a Juniper procumbens "nana". This was my first real bonsai. It's growing like crazy. The baskets have broken Miracle Grow "evergreen" tree spikes in them. As does the pine above.

[img]https://lh3.ggpht.com/_3fchepaDtTU/S9e1FNXbyZI/AAAAAAAAAxk/kdbqCoiot8Y/s512/IMG_0294.JPG[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jalopy19,

Thanks for posting your trees. I don't think I have ever seen anyone using Bittersweet before. What do you think of it? Any peculiarities that you have noticed? I have an interest in these as I have a half dozen young plants that I started a few years ago.

Norm

Jalopy19
Cool Member

Well, my understanding is that it is technically a vine. I also understand that there are male and female plants in this species. Mine had an interesting trunk (and it was on sale) so I thought I'd try it. It's very pliable when wiring. The leaves are turning out to be fairly big. They told me this was a male, but it had some of the characteristic bittersweet flower/fruits on it over the winter. It seems to put up with a lot so far though.

JTred
Green Thumb

Looks like you have some great material to work with. I especially like the cotoneaster group, the juniper, and the pine. Are you planning on going with a broom style for the cherry?

Jalopy19
Cool Member

Thank you.

I am planning on broom style with the sandcherry. I found it at a Lowes and it's come back even after some pretty hard abuse (someone threw a hose on it at one point and ripped it out of it's pot) I also think it had some fungal issues last summer. It seems to have come back great though!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jalopy19,

Thanks for the information, I knew it was a vine but did not know it was dioecious. Also I'm not sure if what I am growing is the same species you have, mine might be Chinese Bittersweet.

I know that they (Chinese Bittersweet) are a non-native, invasive species but if that's what they are, they are already growing around here and, since they are potted, I will be able to control mine. I'm not sure that I even have a viable pair. I did note nascent flower buds on several today though, so we'll see.

Norm

Marsman
Green Thumb

Nice trees.

Bittersweet is such a problem around here. You drive down the highway and the trees are smothered with it. Every year I rip it out of the ground in my yard and it keeps coming back. Maybe I should try and bend it to my will! :twisted:

vmabuck

The Cotoneaster group is awesome!

TomM
Greener Thumb

Yeah, The group planting gets my vote too. I understand that it is "brand new", but give it a few years, some judicial thinning out and pruning, and you'll have a handsome little forest of coral beauty cotoneaster. NICE !!!
Tom

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”