tomfisher

my azalea and chinease elm

well im in the northwest of England and believe it or not they're getting scorched =[ ive tryed moving them to a shadyer area but it had no affect so ive brought them inside for a bit is there anything to do to them like taking off the burnt leaves?

Gnome
Mod

tomfisher,

Are these trees that have been overwintered outside and spent the spring so far outside? If they were kept inside, or recently purchased, and then moved outside abruptly that may account for leaf burn. Windy conditions may also account for leaf damage although I have not seen this with the species you mention. I don't think I would be too anxious to remove any leaves, they may still be partly functioning. If we knew more about the history of the trees we might be able to offer more.

Norm

tomfisher

well they were bought about a 3 weeks ago ish and left them out doors so that they could get some decent sunlight but all that has happened is some burns when i first put them out there was a lot of new growth with the azalea if that is any help

Gnome
Mod

tomfisher,

Well that kind of confirms my theory of being placed in full sun without an acclimation period. Plants that are grown/kept in a sheltered situation such as a greenhouse with shade sloth or sitting on a retailers shelf will have leaves that are not used to the full force of the sun. It is always wise to transition them slowly by putting them in a shady location at first and gradually exposing them to more sun over time.

The Elm will probably make a full recovery although the current leaves may drop and be replaced with a new set. When you see new leaves forming I would get it back into the sun so that the new leaves will be acclimated from the start.

The Azalea is a different matter and I don't have a particularly good track record with them. Keeping it in a shady spot might be advisable until you know if it is going to recover. Perhaps Victrinia will see this, she has some very nice Azaleas and obviously can grow them well.

Norm
Last edited by Gnome on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomfisher

ohk :D thanks for the help

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”