derkap10
Cool Member

Chinese Elm Cutting...... what now?

So I got this cutting off of my Chinese Elm when I first got it. The tree was very leggy and overgrown when I first got it so I did some serious pruning. I put several cuttings in some peat with a little rooting hormone but most didn't make it. But this one dropped all it's leaves and put out a bunch of new ones. This has been about 2 months.

[img]https://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad43/derkap10_photo/Bonsai/PlantsandTrees019.jpg[/img]

I'll give it a little more time and then trim the little bit of dead wood off. But not real sure after that. I realize that it'll probably be in big pots for several years before it starts bonsai training but is there anything I should be doing to work on it before then? Just looking for suggestions. Thanks much y'all,

Allen

derkap10
Cool Member

Just as an addendum..... when I first took the cutting I put it in one of them there little peat pellet thingees in a shot glass. About 2 weeks ago I took it out of there and put it in the pot you see here with a mixture of regular potting soil leavened up with a bit of cactus soil (about half and half). Seems to still be doing quite well. Next year I'll put in a larger (really large) pot or, possibly, a pond basket.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Allen, You can gently clip off the dead tips, but beyond that just let it grow, let it grow for now. It needs to grow out and get healthy roots. No need to prune back for some time.

As Norm has pointed out a mild fungicide or spray of Neem oil will help with the prevention of 'black spot' on elms. Look for that discussion on this forum.

Glad to know you weren't blown away in the recent storms.
Tom

derkap10
Cool Member

Thanks for the confirmation Tom. That was really all I was really looking to do. Just wasn't sure if it didn't need anything else. I'm going to definitely be ready to pounce at the first sign of 'black spot'. Although it's not bad now in a couple of months (or sooner) the humidity will get really high here. In Mississippi walking outside on a midsummers day is about like falling into a pot of hot soup. I imagine 'black spot' really likes those sort of conditions.
Got really lucky with the storms. I'm about 15 miles south of Yazoo City. I was driving to work when all that hit. Amazingly all I encountered was a bit of rain and some serious wind. I drive East from Clinton to Northeast Jackson on the Natchez Trace to work. I always reset the MPG computer on my Dodge Dakota pickup once I hit the 50 MPH speed limit on the Trace and set my cruise control. I usually average between 27 to 28 MPG on my way. With that wind behind me saturday...... over 32 MPG. That's some pretty serious wind.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”