Mini Mango!

- African Baobab - HELP?

Hey,

I didn't know where to put my question, so I thought maybe here, as baobabs can also be grown as a bonsai tree.

I just checked on my baobab seeds which I have planted about a week ago, and I saw that they gone bad. I read somewhere that you can crack them before planting, so I did that and kept them for a while in water, then planted in soil+sand (I watered soil before planting), and kept it on my sunny window.
The sad thing is that the soil stayed wet somehow and didn't drain properly.. so when I checked today I saw that at the cracks of the seeds were alot of very tiny tiny white worms tilling their heads up and moving :? .. I think I've got a 'wrong germination'.. :lol:

Good I still have a lot of seeds left though. So I want to keep trying until I get them germinated, God willing.. of course.

Anyone knows how to germinate Baobab seeds? I really need help guys :( ..
I tried to look on the net but didn't find much info about it..

Thanks a lot in advance!

Marsman
Green Thumb

Sorry to hear about the seeds. I don't know the answer, but I'm sure someone will come along with an idea.

Mini Mango!

Thanks marsman. I hope so.. . :(

I'm very used to 'European' plants and trees and all, but now I'm trying to experiment on the tropical and desert ones and that's very tricky for me. I had to bury many dead plants already, one of them was a large GORGEOUS Sago Palm (Someone gave me wrong info about the type of soil and watering) eh well.. But I'm learning every day.
In a couple of weeks I'm planning to pass by my favorite market again and get some more plants! :D
But this time no Sagos.. They are poisonous and I have a baby girl now who soon will be crawling, so I don't think it will be a good idea to have one..at least not for now.

riegersteve
Newly Registered

the Baobab seeds are hard to germinate

oak them in warm water for 30 minutes,
take them out and nick them (cutting through the dark outer shell
place them in good germination soil, and in a few weeks you will see tiny leaves coming up, beware they are very delicate at this stage (and for the first few years)

Mini Mango!

Hi riegersteve, thanks for the advice.

How do I exactly do it with the shell? Because I cracked them carefully and planted them but nothing happened except that the worms had a "baobab feast"..

And how do I water after I planted them?

Thanks again!

MM.

applestar
Mod

I tried growing lotus from seed last winter and it sounds like basic prep is similar. I found it easiest to use a sand paper -- actually sanding block. Hold the seed with a pair of pliers and rub it against the rough surface, examining the seed often.. With lotus seeds, first the dull surface started to look polished and shiny, then the color started to change. As soon as I saw a patch of light color, I stopped. Since they were lotus seeds, they were then put in water to germinate. Initially they floated, eventually, they all sunk. It took them a long time to germinate, but they all did.

FWIW, the ones that sank first germinated first.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to keep them alive :( but that's another issue.

J.B.
Newly Registered

Hi, the seeds are very difficult to germinate.Rather buy larger trees + cut them right back -you can also cut off most of the root mass.Golden rule with adansonia digitata do not over water,+ do not water at all in winter...

Mini Mango!

Applestar,
Oh waauw! Lotus! Where did you get the seeds! I would love to try the lotus seeds as well! Just need to find where to get them first, hm.. :?
I'm sorry to hear they didn't survive though..

I tried to vile them (I think it's the same thing) but it was taking too long and I gave up. But I will try again then!

J.B.,
Buying them, I wouldn't know where.. The only chance is to go to Sudan (I have family there) and dig one up and bring it in my suitcase lol (which I will definitely try when I go!).
And my other reason is - I am fascinated by the wonder of the huge plants that come out of the tiny seeds. I am focusing now more on that - germinating all kind of seeds I can find :) ! And baobab is on top of my list together with dates 8) .
For now I've got mangoes growing, hibiscus, sweet melons, lemons, pomegranates,.. different things.

Any interesting suggestions for me of what seeds to plant, let me know! I'm very excited!
:D

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I had the same problem with a Podocarpus years back. And like J.B said, it is best to by some that have already been growing for a while. Some plants grow well from seeds, others don't.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”