heavenbound planter
Newly Registered

thank you and a question to all who helped me with my bonsai

A month ago, many of you help me embark on my journey into bonsai and I just wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart. you guys helped me without knowing me and that was dearly sweet, and so as a thank you I believe a little someone you help would like to say thanks too!!

[img]https://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/whitedude_2006/IMG_3512.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/whitedude_2006/IMG_3516.jpg[/img]

I haven't gone to get the tools of the trade yet. had to update what you see in the background in order to get some homework done xD.

Anyways, as you see it's growing good and well but It seems that because I haven't cut the wire that was holding it up when it's growing it seems like there is a tiny bits of root growing around it. I was thinking about cutting it out but I figured I'd lose alot of my only soil. So my question is What's a good soil for this kind of plant and Do you guys think I should repot the tree while I'm at it?

when I get home today I'll introduce you to it's brother ^-^. in about 2 weeks I'm going to be planting some new bonsai so in the summer you might just get to meet the whole bonsai family ^-^

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

heavenbound planter,
A month ago, many of you help me embark on my journey into bonsai and I just wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart. you guys helped me without knowing me and that was dearly sweet, and so as a thank you I believe a little someone you help would like to say thanks too!!
You're welcome, we are glad to be able to help.

I understand the urge to 'do something' but sometimes there is not really anything that needs to be done. From what I can tell from your photos the soil looks good, it is not crowded and you say the plant is doing well. Why the desire to re-pot?

Fukien Tea has the reputation of being somewhat difficult so since you are having success and are a new grower, I think I would rather see you not disturb it right now. Concentrate on the cultural requirements of your bonsai first, lighting, water, fertilization. Give it some time to grow and for you to learn more about it. Sometimes doing nothing is the right thing to do.

If it's the wire that bothers you I think you may be worrying to much. Wire that secures the plant to the pot does not wind around the roots like wire on branches does. This is just to stabilize the plant in the pot. I have left wire like this in place for an entire year without the need to remove it. If you leave your tree in the same soil for more than one year you may want to remove the wire. You can usually do this without disturbing the roots too much.

Norm

vmabuck

Soil:

I make my own using lava rock, Vermiculite, and compost.

30% compost, 40% Vermiculite and 30% Grit (lava rock)

You could swap the compost for some kind of clay granule like akadama or seramis.

I think as a general rule you want decent water retention, for obvious reasons, and some grit to promote root growth/drainage. I use all kinds of material on top of the soil for looks if I feel like making it look pretty.

All of my trees are conifer and I like the look of a layer of the red lava rock on top. It reminds me of where I am from, Northern AZ.

That is how I go about making soils, right or wrong it seems to be working out ok. Plus by buying your own ingredients and mixing them yourself you save a ton of moola compared to buying pre-made bonsai soil mix.

I have noticed that a lot of greenhouses carry a certain brand of pre-mix bonsai soil. I did buy some of that brand (don't recall name, I think it is "black" something) but I still mixed it up with the lava rock and vermiculite. I didn't notice any real difference from using compost/potting soil.

Another thing. If you get into the clay granules as I mentioned above for a replacing the compost if you do a bit of research some cat litter brands use a proper clay for bonsai soil mix. That will save you even more money if you take that route.

As far as re-potting goes, well that is kind of a regional/tree type deal. As a general rule you I think you should only mess with that in the springtime. I know some people follow a rule where they only re-pot when the buds of the plant start swelling and before they burst.

I am sure someone will correct me if this is bad advice but I would say re-pot it if you wish, it is Spring!

Good luck!

heavenbound planter
Newly Registered

thanks for the tip on the dirt guys! or should I say "the DIRT on the dirt" :D :lol:

But seriously, now I have a different problem. Everytime a flower blooms, in like 2 days it wilts. I don't know why. I kind of water it infrequently now, which I'm trying to fix, but I just don't know what's going on. Is the tree supposed to do that or is it just my infrequency of watering?

Also, I'm finally trying to get my seed kits planted. is there anyone in here that knows how to grow cherry blossom bonsai or can point me to a page that show how to care for them? That would be of great help. Thank you guys and God bless :D

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”