Anonymous

What type of tree?

Hi there, I'm new here, new to bonsai, new to the whole thing! Personally I love the idea, so I went out and bought a bonsai tree thinking it would be water and sun, and thats it! Now I'm seeing there is so much more with wiring, pruning, re-potting, and frankly, I love every bit of it.

Here is a picture of the tree I purchased from the local garden centre. At this point I have read many websites on bonsai, I have cleared dead leaves, watered, trimmed a little bit... ect

[img]https://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1377/0720387sf.jpg[/img]

Now, I was wondering what type of tree this is. What "specical care" this specific type of tree might have and how big it was to be to start wiring to take a certian shape.

I was also wondering... Whats the limit? Can I make this tree a beatiful windy tree or is it a specific type that can't be wired into certian shapes.

Now, to clarify... The rocks ARENT glued down :P

And also, what kind of tree is suitable to a mostly-indoor lifestyle?

Thanks for any help!

Glenn.

koiboy01

Hi Glenn.
I think we need a clearer photo than that one to specify the variety of tree, no you don't need ant special tree to make a windsept bonsai but obviosly some varieties are better than others such as pines and junipers which can give you the ancient rugged and windswept look.
George.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Looks like Serissia to me. (spelling?)

koiboy01

Hi Operbinia,
I thought the leaves looked a little to big for a Serissa.
koiboy01

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Koiboy,

Could be, but leaves aren't a given size for each species, the size of the leaves depends on several factors like: pruning, light conditions, soil conditions and so on.

I'm going to stick with my diagnosis but, if someone knows better....

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”