pdoyle2

Bonsai books?

I'm new to the hobby and am enthralled with it, are there any books that I should buy or get at the library? I have read a ton online and was just wondering if anybody knew any good books on the subject matter.

Victrinia Ridgeway

One of the most important books on basic bonsai design (not horticulture... but rather how to design a tree) is by David DeGroot and it's called "Basic Bonsai Design" (go figure...lol :lol: )

Anywho... it's out of print, so you have to find a used copy somewhere, pick one up at a convention with a vendor who still has one, or find a friend who may have it. I'm still scratching my head over why it's not in print any more... it's crazy because it's one of the best books to give some asthetic guidlines to those who have no clue. You step away from those "rules" eventually... but they can be a great help when you aren't sure what to do with a juniper who looks like a cross between a Wookie and cousin IT.

:lol:

V

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

pdoyle2,

Here's a thread with a list of bonsai books for you to consider. You mentioned your library, I would read anything you can get for free. Just watch for volumes that older as several concepts have changed, most notably the nature of bonsai soils.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22158#22158

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”